013

Chapter Thirteen;
Panic Attacks

Kalea 'Ruth' DavisNew York City, New York

Kalea 'Ruth' Davis
New York City, New York

"You need to focus." Kalea smacked Sky, who faked a wincing expression before she chuckled.

They were currently inside Kalea's house, studying the books and trying their best to give Sky the inspiration she so badly needed. Kalea knew that Skylar didn't want her to get any closer to Sky, so she decided to keep it separate. As crazy and naive as it sounded, Kalea wanted to find out for herself.

She definitely didn't think she could change Sky in any way, shape or form. However, a part of her felt like this was genuine on both sides and this crippling fear would hold her back for the rest of her life if she didn't take a leap of faith.

"If you wanted me to focus, you should've taken me to a public area. This small area with you makes me feel all types of things." Sky admitted, making Kalea avoid eye contact with a small smile.

"Look, I know that we feel the same way but at the end of the day, I'm a professor and you're a student. It's not okay for us to be in some random café or restaurant, studying and laughing." She explained, the smile slowly fading from her face.

If Kalea got fired, she'd have to go back and there was no way in hell she'd be doing that.

"Okay, Professor." Sky replied in a sultry voice, sitting up as she closed the distance between her and Kalea. She reached her hand over and gently placed it on Kalea's cheek, pulling her closer and closer.

Kalea's eyes widened slightly as she realised what was about to happen. She put her hand on Sky's lips and smiled before getting off the sofa, she hurried off into the kitchen. Kalea placed her hand on her heart before opening the fridge, the anxiety was still there regardless.

She grabbed two cold bottles of water before walking back to the living room, throwing one at Sky.

"You need to cool down." Kalea chuckled, "We'll never get anything done with the way you acting."

Sky rolled her eyes before sipping the water then getting back to reading, while Kalea slumped onto the spot right next to her and began writing explanations on post-it notes before sticking them on each page.

Hours passed and Kalea failed to notice that Sky had fallen asleep, she quietly snored with her head resting awkwardly on the pillow. Her neck was gonna hurt like a bitch in the morning so Kalea adjusted her position to make sure she was laying across the sofa before she covered her with a thick blanket.

Kalea turned off 'Moesha' which had been playing on the background before tidying up the books and placing them in her coffee table.

Just as she was about to leave the living room, she felt an urge to look at Sky while she was asleep. This would be the only time she'd be able to look directly at her face without melting because of her eyes. Kalea squatted in front of Sky before looking at her sleeping face. Her lips weren't thick at all, if anything they seemed quite plump yet small. They were parted slightly as she breathed heavily, her nose barely doing any work. Frizzy strands of her hair covered her face and her lashes were long and thick.

Kalea reached over and brushed the hair from Sky's face, smiling slightly. She definitely liked her. The age gap, her being a professor and Skylar worried her but in this moment, all she saw was Sky. Even though she still had fear in her heart, Kalea wanted to do this.

Whatever this was.

Hearing her phone ring in her bedroom, Kalea pulled herself back to reality before turning off the lights and heading to her bedroom. She shut the door before grabbing her phone and answering.

"Hello, my daughter. I feel like I haven't talked to you in ages." Kalea heard her father's voice, she'd forgotten to check the contact before she answered.

"What've you been up to? You been praying or watching the church sermons online like I showed you to?"

Her heart raced as she heard her father ramble on about how the church felt empty without her, whether she was still reading her Bible and whether she had found a church to attend. Kalea could feel her heart start to race out of her control, her clothes began to stick to her skin.

Reaching over to wipe her forehead, Kalea felt as if someone was strangling her. She could hear her father's condescending, warning voice. He wasn't checking up on her, he was keeping her in check. The phone dropped to the floor and Kalea sank to the floor, feeling tears well up in her eyes as she panted. She clutched her t-shirt as she panted out of control, he knew she was with a woman.

He knew she was bisexual. He knew she was sinning.

The door slammed open to reveal Sky who ran over and grabbed a magazine in an attempt to fam Kalea so that she could cool down.

"Deep breath in, 123, deep breath out." She instructed as sweat ran down Kalea's face.

Sky watched as Kalea's navy blue t-shirt turned black because it was drenched in sweat, she wiped the tears from Kalea's face. Her eyes finally focusing on Sky before the girl fell into her arms and clung onto her like hell.

A few minutes passed and Kalea's breathing had slowed down.

"What happened?" Sky asked worriedly, Kalea slightly reached over to her phone before hanging up the call with her father.

Her hands shook as she tried to stand up and lay on her bed, Sky following her every movement.

"It was just a panic attack." Kalea admitted with a low voice, she shut her eyes as she put her hand to her heart.

"Do you have them regularly?" Sky asked, surprised by how laid back Kalea seemed now.

"I do. I have them all the time."

"What causes them?"

Kalea sighed and rolled over, turning her back to Sky. Sky reached over and rubbed her arm,

"I'm sorry I asked, you don't have to tell me."

Kalea glanced at her, "It's okay, it's just something I'm trying to work out alone."

Sky couldn't help but stare at the woman with a somber expression. She couldn't get it out of her mind, Kalea looked like she'd seen a ghost.

-XX-

Being raised in an overly religious household and turning out to be homosexual has got to be one of the worst things ever.