030

Chapter Thirty;
Cinnamon Girl

Kalea 'Ruth' Kingston New York City, New York

New York City, New York

The snowy weather had began to calm down as Kalea paced around the kitchen, waiting for the cake to bake fully. In a couple of days, it would be Sky and Skylar's birthday and she was trying her best to prepare and beautiful cake for the both of them to enjoy. However, Kalea wanted the cake to be perfect because Skylar baked for a living, so she felt the pressure to at least impress her.

Sighing, she glanced at her laptop which was placed on the counter top. She read the email that stated that finals would be starting next week, which meant that Sky would be busier than she'd ever been. Kalea had barely seen her as it was, the girl was constantly working on her sculpture. She was a perfectionist and obsessed with her art, not even Kalea could stop her.

Sky would sleep here every night, then she'd leave at the crack of dawn as if they weren't going to end up at the same college. They couldn't eat lunch together because they feared it would draw attention, so they could only steal glances. Except, it was only Kalea stealing glances. Sky on the other hand, had her head down as she worked on her final project, yet Kalea couldn't help but miss her.

As her timer went off, Kalea pulled out the cake and allowed it to cool before she began to decorate, then she proceeded to go wrap up their gifts in the living room while ABBA played in the background.

-XX-

Kalea placed the cake on the dinner table and placed candles, then she placed Skylar's own cake with her own candles while the twins placed their dinner all around.

Sky had a massive grin on her face as Kalea sang happy birthday to her and her sister, they both embraced Kalea after she was finished singing and blew out their candles.

"Wow. You outdid yourself with this cake." Skylar commented, her mouth was full of cake but she was careful not to get it on her new, bodycon dress as she ate it.

"It tastes amazing." Sky nodded lightly, her eyes trailing up from the cake and up to Kalea, leading to them making eye contact before she watched as Kalea glanced away. "I love it." She chuckled.

Skylar rolled her eyes as she listened to them flirt with one another, they were still convinced that they were the only people in the room. She finished her slice of cake before running to go grab her handbag from her bedroom, her heels echoing as she ran.

"Thank you for the cake, sis." She quickly kissed Kalea before she ran out of the apartment, she had been planning to spend her birthday with her man while Sky spent it with Kalea.

"Damn. She was sprinting the hell out of here." Sky glanced at the door before getting up and locking it while Kalea chuckled at her comment.

"She's in love, don't make fun of her." Kalea replied, feeling Sky's eyes on her as she walked over to the living room, gesturing for her Sky to follow her. "I got you some things."

Kalea slumped on the right end of the sofa and watched as Sky sat on the far end of the same one while the gifts sat in the middle. She opened them to find motorcycle gear, sculpture apparatus and much more gifts that must've cost a fortune for Kalea.

Sky felt her eyes well up with tears but she quickly looked down at the gifts to avoid Kalea noticing, but her lover had already seen her teary eyes. Kalea placed all the gifts on the floor and closed the gap between her and Sky, her hands rested on Sky's cheeks as they wiped the tears that rolled down her face. She rubbed Sky's back as she cried on Kalea's shoulder.

"Thank you so much, baby." Sky sniffled, her tears staining Kalea's t-shirt as she tried her best to compose herself despite being overcome by such a powerful wave of emotion.

"We haven't had a good birthday since we was 15. Ever since I came out as gay, it ruined our whole family dynamic. So to come home and find someone else besides me and Skylar, who's happy to celebrate, I guess it just got a bit overwhelming." She explained as she pulled away from Kalea and wiped the tears off her face while Kalea stared at her with eyes filled with love and adoration.

"I'm sorry, my love. This is how your birthdays are gonna be from now on." Kalea replied softly, smiling as she realised Sky had stopped crying. "We've all got each other, right?"

Sky nodded, "And Skylar's mystery man." She joked, making Kalea laugh before they began to tidy up.

They threw away the wrapping paper, cut some more cake and sat down to watch a movie before enjoying this last night before Sky would fall off the face of the Earth to try and get the perfect score for her sculpture assignment.

-XX-

Trent fiddled with his watch as he sat inside his car, he glanced through the tinted windows to see the dean of the University leaving to get into his car and sighed heavily. Pictures of Kalea and Sky sat neatly tucked into an envelope, they were private photos which Trent had gotten through a P.I.

He debated on what to do before rubbing his eyes with a low groan, Kalea could do better than a disowned 22 year old. Better yet, Kalea needed a man. A strong, powerful man.

She needed him.

After instructing his driver to head back to his penthouse, Trent shut his eyes and replayed his last conversation with Kalea. The anger that blazed in her gaze every time she'd look at him was something he found impossible to miss. He couldn't deny that he'd made a mistake and because of that, he ensured that Kalea's father would remain in jail for the rest of his life, he had enough influence to ensure this. He needed to get Kalea.

Truly and honestly, all Trent wanted was to get rid of Sky.

-XX-

I fell off the face of the Earth but now I'm back with consistent updates as we begin to wrap this story up :)