008

Chapter Eight:
Lessons

Kalea 'Ruth' KingstonNew York City, New York

New York City, New York

Kalea hadn't seen Sky or Skylar in more than two weeks, she talked to Skylar regularly through social media and they were making plans to meet up soon. However, Sky on the other hand was a mystery. The two weren't friends, nor were they enemies, they were in this weird position that neither of them could explain.

Her thoughts about Sky had mellowed out, she was now a person Kalea associated with Skylar. This only proved to Kalea that the kiss and whatever she thought she had felt at the time was just false. Just a moment of weakness.

Sipping on her matcha latte, she placed everything neatly on her desk before sitting down on her seat. The skies were clearing up and it rained a lot less nowadays, which only meant that fall was nearly over.

Just as she was about to check her appointment list for the day, Kalea got a knock on her door. She told the person to come before she watched her cousin walk through and shut the door behind him.

"Wow, you're here to distract me so early on the morning." Kalea joked, making him chuckle as he sat down on one of the chairs that faced her desk.

Jeremiah was a brown skin man with a beautiful smile. His hair was kept neatly trimmed but it was thick and healthy. He often left a neat beard surrounding his jaw and over the top of his lips while his brows were thick. Not to mention his massive build, being 6'2 but he didn't look threatening in any way, shape or form.

Most likely because of his eyes which made him look slightly like a puppy.

"I'm actually here for a work question. Have you heard that our departments have a trip together?" Jeremiah asked, his eyes sparkling with excitement.

"Where to? And why?" Kalea asked curiously, she didn't even know the University would merge two departments for a trip. Especially such different departments.

Jeremiah leaned back on the chair and shrugged, "Only God knows but I'm guessing it's because the place that we're going to matches both departments' interests."

"Where are we going?" She asked, she'd love a good trip.

"Rome." Jeremiah replied, "If you think about it, Rome has some of the greatest sculptures and amazing religious buildings and history."

"Plus the religious and fine art departments are one of the smallest ones. If anything, it's actually very logical for them to mash them together."

Kalea nodded slowly, taking in everything she'd just heard. She'd remembered reading that the University covered the costs for the teachers but students had to pay half price. She really needed this, a chance to explore even more about the world.

"You're going, right?" Jeremiah asked hesitatingly.

"Yeah. Of course I'm going." Kalea smiled, this was exactly why she'd decided to leave the church and her father behind. To get these opportunities too see the world.

The trip was in a month and a half. She could barely contain her grin as she waved Jeremiah goodbye.

-XX-

"I read some of the books but they're a bit too religion heavy for me to understand." Sky said to Kalea, who was watching her with slightly narrowed eyes.

Partly because she had booked yet another appointment and because she'd remembered that Sky would most likely be going on the trip.

"Why do you need religion? I thought you were a Fine Art Major." Kalea questioned, she saw Sky more than actual religious studies students at this point.

Sky sat up and sighed slightly, her blank face becoming slightly serious. She didn't mess around when it came to perfecting her art, she'd come to Columbia on a scholarship because of her perfectionist ways when it came to her art. She wasn't planning on stopping now.

"It's the only thing inspiring me when it comes to my sculptures. I need a story behind my sculpture and I don't have one but as I read more and more religious books, I feel like I'm getting there inch by inch."

Kalea simply stared at Sky as she spoke. Weirdly enough, she couldn't control her eyes as they stayed glued to Sky's face. She wanted to look away but just couldn't. Her eyes were frozen on the girl's lips and her honey brown eyes, her throat dried up slightly.

She must've been catching a cold.

"I don't mind recommending you books and explaining them to you. Just keep booking appointments and we will clear everything up." Kalea said, finally looking away to type a note that Sky was going to become a regular.

"So...are you going on the trip?" Sky asked, her normally confident voice sounded a lot more reserved.

Kalea glanced over at her before replying, "I'm planning to. You?"

Sky nodded, "Any excuse to get out of New York, been here my whole life."

A minute of silence passed, Kalea sighed before telling Sky that their time was over. She watched with narrowed eyes as Sky left, her eyes hanging on the girl for way longer that they should've. Once the door shut and Sky was gone, Kalea exhales deeply, feeling her heart race slightly.

Treating Sky coldly was working but Kalea was struggling with the effects and what it meant about her. Why did her eyes linger on Sky for so much longer than anyone else?

She was a student. She was also a woman.

-XX-

Sky had finished her meeting with Kalea hours ago, she was currently in the middle of sex with another girl. She was pent up and needed release but nothing was going her way.

Pulling out of the girl, Sky sat on the edge of the bed and groaned to herself. She was hard, she'd been hard since she'd left Kalea's office but nothing was taking it down. Not even this girl.

"Are you okay?" She asked, making Sky's head sink even lower.

"Yeah." Sky replied lowly. "Just got a lot on my mind."

-XX-