011

Chapter Eleven;
You do

Sky Davis New York City, New York

Sky Davis
New York City, New York

Sky heard some shuffling coming from the directions of their bedrooms and watched as Kalea pulled her hand away from her boxers and onto her own lap. She felt herself get slightly annoyed because Skylar had ruined their moment, even though Kalea hadn't actually said anything, her actions said more than enough for Sky.

Her eyes glanced at Kalea once again before quickly looking to see Skylar groggily walk into the living room and stumble onto the chair across from Sky and Kalea.

"I'm so thirsty. What are y'all doing in silence?" Skylar asked groggily, her voice was hoarse as Kalea shot up and hurried to the kitchen to get her a cup of water before quickly coming back and handing it to her.

"We wasn't doing anything." Sky shrugged, feeling Kalea's eyes on her, "How you feeling?"

Skylar shook her head as she rested it on her hand, "Like literal shit."

"Finish this cup then go to bed." Kalea advised, "You gotta get a good night's sleep."

"I'll man the café for you tomorrow, don't worry and just sleep." Sky said to her sister, watching as Kalea helped her walk back to her bedroom. She stared at the empty glass that sat on the table before sighing.

The moment was now gone. Only God knew when Sky would ever get Kalea to be as open as she was tonight.

As she wallowed in her thoughts, Sky didn't notice Kalea walk back and shut the door before sitting back on the chair that was facing her. She only looked up when she felt her presence because of her warmth and scent.

"I'll help you with the café tomorrow. I can make coffees and wait tables, if you're okay with that." Kalea explained with a low voice, almost as if she didn't want Skylar to wake up again.

Her eyes still didn't meet Sky's eyes for long but it was better than before. Sky couldn't help but smile slightly, making Kalea look at her confusedly.

"I'm not a barista, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying I can help, if you'd have me." She shrugged before getting up causing Sky to reach out and grab her arm, pulling her back into her seat.

Kalea rolled her eyes making Sky kiss her teeth.

"Sky, you treat me like I'm not a whole 4 years older than you." Kalea mumbled, folding her arms over her chest.

"Nah, I do respect your age and your intellect." Sky shrugged, making Kalea look at her with a dulled expression, "I just don't want you to go yet."

Her honesty felt refreshing for Kalea, she felt like she could finally talk to Sky without worrying about barriers but Kalea could feel her own barriers peeking their heads. The crippling anxiety was slowly clawing its way through her as she spent more and more time with Sky. She sighed before looking directly at the woman in front of her, reaching over to push her thick hair out of her face.

"I...I don't know how to do any of this." Kalea began, "I've been alone since I was born and it was affirmed to me that I was straight."

Sky listened attentively as the woman talked, her eyes studying Kalea as she began to open up.

"I'm scared. I don't...I'm scared of what it would mean if I opened this door." Kalea explained as sadness clouded her features, she covered her face with her hands before sighing and moving them from her face again.

Sky hesitantly reached over and grabbed her hand, enveloping it in her own hands. She stared at Kalea with a frown before she started to talk,

"Once you get out the closet, you can't get back in." She started, "People will reject you, people will treat you different and you will disgust them." Sky sighed, "But if you think about it, that's just the people that were never meant to be in your life anyway."

"At some point, you realise that your own happiness comes before anyone else. Let's hope you're one of the people that realises that while they're still young and not when they're on their death bed."

Kalea's eyes glistened with tears as she listened to Sky speak, she could tell that everything's he was saying was from experience.

"My intersexuality is probably the most complex thing about me and my biggest insecurity." She began, her voice shook slightly, "So when I came out to my parents as lesbian, that was their last straw and they disowned me." 

Kalea gasped quietly as she listened, feeling the tears roll down her cheek. She could only imagine the pain, Sky was so young too.

"You just get to a point in your life when you realise that it's just so short." Sky shrugged, rubbing her eyes before reaching over and using her one free hand to wipe Kalea's tears away.

"You're so strong." Kalea said, wiping the fresh tears from her face. Sky simply chuckled and shook her head.

"Ion know what Skylar's been telling you but I'm not strong at all. You just get numb to certain things." Sky shrugged, she reached both her arms out and pulled Kalea into a tight embrace, she waited until Kalea's crying had sorted itself out before she pulled away.

"Get some sleep." She said before she got up and walked off to her room, leaving Kalea with a fresh train of thoughts.

-XX-

"I don't know why I promised to help." Kalea groaned as she helped Sky and Skylar run the café.

It was currently 5pm on a Saturday in New York City and the customers just never stopped coming. Whether it was regulars, passer-by's or tourists. Kalea never had a moment to sit down and relax. She was constantly taking orders, helping with stock and she never even had enough free time to grab a bite of some cake.

"That's why I was surprised when you offered to help, I knew you ain't know what you getting yourself into." Sky shackled, glancing around the café to see that everyone had ordered and was already eating and chatting away, so she grabbed Kalea's arm and led her to the staff room.

"Have some carrot cake. I ain't know what coffee you like so I just made you a latte." Sky said as she passed the plate and cup to Kalea before glancing at her sister who had just come in from the kitchen.

"Skylar, I love and care for you but I'm never helping out again." Kalea told Skylar who simply chuckled and walked over to give Kalea a shoulder massage.

"Understandable, I'm considering hiring someone to help out so that I can stop relying on Sky. She's got to start focusing on her finals." Skylar explained to them, she continued to massage Kalea.

"You should, the café ain't ever done this well. It's the perfect time." Sky shrugged, she glanced at Kalea who was eating before heading out to man the front counter.

"Damn, Sky been glancing around at you all day. She still crazy." Skylar mumbled to herself, catching Kalea's attention.

"Don't get involved with my sister, Kalea. I'm saying this for your own sake. She's got a habit of someone catching her eye and as soon as she has them, she gets bored and leaves." Skylar rambled, even though Kalea was getting a massage, she felt the heaviest weight on her shoulders as she listened.

"Wherever Sky goes, there's always a trail of broken hearts following behind."