Chapter 43

Paro's heart pounded in her chest as the music abruptly came to a halt, and she felt Adi's grip release her. Relief washed over her like a tidal wave, freeing her from the suffocating hold he had on her. 

Her breath caught as Adi leaned in close, his voice a mere whisper meant solely for her ears.

"Don't forget about our date my love",

 he murmured, his words carrying a hint of possessiveness and warning.

Paro's eyes widened as she felt her mind racing. She knew she had to keep up appearances, to mask the torment he had put her through. 

Glancing around the room, her gaze met Ishita's eyes who was looking at them with dreamy eyes. Shefali and her uncle were puzzled but their expressions were telling of their pride in her. 

Vivaan looked happy to find his pipi for the first time in the evening. While Rishabh looked at her with furrowed brows as if trying to understand the situation.

They were all watching her, waiting for an explanation she wasn't yet ready to give.

Summoning every ounce of strength, Paro approached them, attempting to exude a sense of nonchalance. But her insides were a jumble of fear and anxiety, threatening to consume her. 

Rishabh stepped forward, his eyes filled with thousands of questions. He needed to confess something but before that, he needed to know what was going on.

"Paro, can we talk?" he asked softly, his voice nervous yet empathetic.

Paro's heart ached at the sincerity in his eyes, his genuine care. She knew he must have guessed something.

 But the memory of Adi's threats held her back. She wasn't ready to share anything with anyone. Not yet.

" Can we talk later Rishabh," she replied, pretending to be tired. 

 "I'm just overwhelmed by the party. Let's catch up later, okay?" 

Rishabh nodded understanding, though his face revealed his lingering worry and hurt.  

Without waiting for a reply she walked away hurriedly.

" Woah girl! What was that!!" 

Ishita giggled, clearly not over yet what she saw a moment ago. Paro rolled her eyes and shrugged her shoulders trying hard to act casual.

" What? It's a party, right? Aren't we supposed to dance?"

 She was successful in engaging Ishita in chit-chat, her words carefully chosen, her laughter forced.

But Inside a storm raged, threatening to break the fragile facade she had built.

" Look who is here ?" Paro turned back hearing the voice to find out Kavita and Bidisha were standing there. 

" I never knew Paro, you are such a great dancer. Looks like my brother-in-law found himself the perfect partner, yeah?!"

 Bidisha teased.

Paro almost choked listening to her.

" I … I mean.. I just.." She didn't know what she was supposed to say. 

" Come on girl! I was just teasing." 

Bidisha, unable to contain her excitement, enveloped Paro in a warm hug, her words filled with genuine admiration.

"By the way, Paro, you look absolutely stunning!" Kavita exclaimed, her eyes holding genuine affection.

Paro managed a grateful smile, though fatigue clung to her like a heavy cloak. She conversed with Adi's family, her responses filled with a weariness born from the memory of her encounters with Adi.