Chapter 39

" Is there some special occasion, Paro?" Ishita asked her friend with curiosity. 

" To be honest I don't know. But trust me Aunty makes amazing food. You two will love it." Paro gave her friends a cheeky smile. 

She was surprised when her aunt suddenly called after class and told her to bring her friends for dinner. 

'What must be the special occasion?' She wondered. But whatever the reason was, she was more than happy to take them home.

" Yes! I can't wait either." Rishabh sounded over enthusiastic.

" Let's go then." 

Three of them took a cab and went towards their destination.

………… 

" Aunty look who is here." 

Paro entered the room with a broad smile as soon as Shefali opened the door. But it vanished looking at the figures sitting in the living room.

" Mom! Papa!" She whispered almost not believing her eyes.

Her parents gave a slight warm smile listening to her surprised tone.

" We haven't seen you for a long time. Your mom was missing you. So just decided to pay a visit ." Her father said in his usual calm voice. 

Paro was about to go in their direction but stopped listening to her father speaking once again.

" And who are they? Your friends?" 

Paro stilted in her place when she remembered she wasn't alone. Ishita and Rishabh were there too. She gulped slightly at her father's sudden change in tone. It wasn't a very good idea to bring them home, especially Rishabh.

But why would her aunt ask her to bring her friends if she knew her parents were coming? 

She knew everything that happened in the past right? But still…

Paro looked at her with a questioning gaze mixed with disappointment. Shefali was already looking at her with apologetic eyes. When she told her to bring her friends she didn't think that Paro would take a boy too. It was no deal for her but it definitely was to her parents.

" Take a seat you two." Mr. Chatterjee said coldly to the standing figures near the door.

Everyone shifted their gaze to Ishita and Rishabh who were feeling quite uncomfortable in this situation. They had a feeling they weren't very welcomed at this gathering. Giving a slight awkward smile they decided to sit down on the couch.

" Hello uncle, hello aunty !" Rishabh said as politely as possible hoping to start a conversation. 

In response, he only received a cold stare from both of them.

To ease the situation Shefali decided to interfere. 

" These kids have been friends with Paro since she came to the city. These two are very well mannered kids. Helpful, kind, and generous. Paro is lucky to have them as friends." She tried her best to ease the situation.

" I see." was her father's reply.

Suddenly Paro was astonished to hear a voice invade through the brewing tension in the room.

" Mam if you get some time please spare a look at me too." A girly voice she knew for years hit her ears.

" Preeti ! " 

Paro looked to her left where her best friend was standing near the TV cabinet. The girl was smiling back at her with affection and warmth in her eyes. Sprinting to her direction within seconds she hugged Preeti with all her strength.