// One //

"Miss Foster! Miss Green!" Mr. Sweeney's nasal voice cut through Sophie's blaring music as he yanked the earbuds they were sharing out by the chords. Adora flinched at the aggressive gesture. "Have you decided that you're too smart to pay attention to this information?" 

Adora watched Sophie flinch as she opened to eyes. The room was very bright and Adora reminded herself to offer Sophie an Advil. 

"No Mr. Sweeney..." They chorused. Sophie practically shrunk in her chair. Adora straightened her back and lifted her chin. 

The two were quite different. Sophie had shoulder length blond hair, brown eyes and was constantly stressed out. Adora had sort-of-light brown hair that she had put pink hair dye over, giving it a slight pink tint, it came to around an inch below her collarbone.  She had hazel eyes and had hardly a care in the world

. She couldn't care less about what Mr. Sweeney thought of them, he seemed to enjoy the public humiliation of yelling at the two girls. Adora was also quite good at being prepared for anything, although she specifically carried some Advil and eyelash serum for Sophie. 

"Then perhaps you could explain why you two were listening to your IPod instead of following along?" Mr. Sweeney held up the earbuds as if they were evidence of a crime. Adora wanted to roll her eyes. Why was he so pressed about this? Nobody in the class was listening to him until he started yelling at them and even still, some were still asleep. Adora saw Sophie yank out an eyelash. 

While Adora was just being annoyed, Sophie was thinking how on earth she could explain to Mr. Sweeney that she needed to earbuds to cancel out the noise. Nobody else could hear the noise she was talking about. She felt so displaced, all the time. Except when she was around Adora. 

The two girls were the same age, birthday only separated by three days, making Sophie slightly older.  When Sophie and Adora had to move up a "few" grades, the principle introduced them. They've been inseparable ever since. Sophie never told Adora her secret but she always felt as though she didn't need to, Adora was an incredibly understanding person and... it felt like a blessing, she could never hear her thoughts. Sometimes the two of them would just sit in a room in silence together. They were happy just to be in each other's presence and it was the only time Sophie could really have peace in quiet. Adora stayed with Sophie a good amount of the time too, having divorced parents she didn't like being at home too often. Adora's mom also didn't have a steady income, Sophie's parents welcomed her in open arms whenever she needed to stay somewhere. 

"Since you've decided you're above this lecture, why don't you give it?" Mr. Sweeney asked. He pointed to a giant orange dinosaur with a duck-like bill in the center of the room. "Explain to the class how the Lambeosaurus differs from the other dinosaurs we've studied." 

Adora watched Sophie hood her breath before reciting the facts she knew about it. Adora smirked as she watched Mr. Sweeney get more upset.

"And you? Ms. Green, name 5 types of vegetarian dinosaurs." 

Adora rolled her eyes. She had studied this on her own months ago. "Sauropoda, Diplodocus, Lambeosarus," she pointed to the dinosaur statue in the room before continuing. " Stegosaurus, Nodosaurus. And for your information, it's called a herbivore." 

Sophie winced at her classmates thoughts becoming more spiteful as her friend finished speaking. They weren't fans of their resident prodigies. And Adora wasn't a big fan of them either. 

Mr. Sweeney didn't take their answers lightly, mumbling something about know-it-alls. Adora scoffed. "How professional." She mumbled under her breath so only Sophie could hear. The class filed out of that room.