History is Writen by the Winning Side

Holly's POV

Holly had no idea how or why she was witnessing these slices of the past, but she could see how the story had evolved and changed over time.

Dragons had poured it into a myth, covering it like a layer of bricks, creating the idea that a human had done something terrible, and then leaving out the details of what had happened to their eggs.
Perhaps over the years, dragons didn't believe - or didn't WANT to believe - that humans could steal so many without getting caught, that they could create such a complex socioty, or that humans could be dangerous at all.

The humans had changed it too, if the story from the cave paintings was their version.
Those paintings hadn't showed the cause of the Scorching.
The hadn't included any greedy humans, or tourching helpless baby dragons.
They'd tried to paint themselves as victims.
According to them, the dragon attacked them unprovoked, dragons were barbaric monsters, and that they had done nothing to be massacred.

But it was all a lie.
Nobody was justified.
Both humans and dragons did horrible thinsg, and told their own twisted tales.

History is writen by the winning side.
Only upon examining both sides of a story, can you get the full picture.

Holly's necklace chinked in the hot wind as the scene shifted, and they were on top of a cliff overlooking a city surrounded by dragons and choking in flames.

This time, Dusky didn't hide.
He lifted his head at the city, glaring at the tiny humans trying to escape the dragons soaring overhead.
"I'm glad the dragons are killing them", he said in a soft, bitter voice.
"I hope they get every last one."

Holly looked at him.
"Dusky, this isn't right. I know you're upset; you should be. But killing ALL humans can't be any better than hurting dragonets."

"Why not? They started it."

"Well, sure, but, Dusky, this happened centeries ago. The humans were wrong, I'm not trying to deny that. But this is just as bad. I mean, think about all the humans down there."

She indictated the swarm of people below them.
"Think of all the families getting torn apart.
Think of the fathers losing their sons to the inferno.
Think of the mothers failing to save their childeren from an early death.
Think of all the inocent souls who might have saved the dragon eggs if they had only known what their emporers were doing to them.
Think of all the childeren, all of the little ones, burning in those flames, leaving this world so young and early, they know nothing of the love they could have had later in life; only fire and death.
"Look, I know you're angery, I am too, but killing everyone can't be the answer.
That is murder, killing that can't be justified."

"I think it is", Duksy whispered feircely.
"They should get what's coming."

Holly felt heartstung.
But I'm human too.
Is that what he secretly want to happen to me?

She'd taken advantage of her new dragon abilities, but now she wished she didn't have them.
She could hear the people screaming in terror and fear; she could smell and taste the blood that was being carried in the breeze.

With an awful lurk, she wondered if anyone had saved the eggs still inside the cities.
Maybe the dragons thought thier childeren were already dead.
In their rage, they didn't realize that they were destorying any hope of finding them again.

Holly shudered.

The burning city faded, and they appeared on another beach, but it was still night-time, a different night-time; the moons were in different phases now, and it was raining.