Language!

A/N:
Okay, I meant to release this chapter on Valentines Day, but I couldn't complete it on time so happy, late V Day ':D
Shoutout to 1-800-NORTHWIND for inspiring me!

Holly's POV

Holly and Mandrake stepped outside while the others were busy convincing Hawthorn to come with them. Holly could tell it would take a while, and she needed some fresh air anyway.

Mandrake shifted.
"I made this for you while you were sleeping", he said a little quickly.

He handed her a small object.
It was made of metal, but still felt warm from being in Mandrake's pouch for so long.
It was a silver hoop earring with a tiny leaf that kept a teardrop emerald in place.

"Wow, thanks, Drake!", Holly said, putting it into her right ear.

"I know you probably don't remember this", Mandrake said, stammering "but when we were younger, we would make each other presents. And I guess none of that ever happened, so, I thought we'd start over."

"Start over?", Holly asked with a grin.
"À. Eíeth nîn Holly. Mà gúvannan. Manî  Eíneth nîn?"

"I'd respond in Dragonís Foláis, but that's not the same language", he smiled.

"What is that anyways?", Holly asked.

"It was a language used by the Leafwings during the Tree Wars to get commands and mesages across without Wasp and the Hive wings overhearing", Mandrake said. "It's been used by Leafwings ever since on missions. It's a well kept secret, so don't tell anyone or let any other Leafwings know that you're unfamiliar with it."

He smiled a little sheepishly.

"Sorry I couldn't make two earrings. I didn't have enough supplies."

"I like it better as one actually", Holly said, touching it lightly.
"Maybe I'll wear it the next time  my grandmother invites me to one of her balls."

"Who?"

"Every holiday, my grandmother hosts these balls. She's old fashioned, so everyone has to wear fancy clothes. And as her granddaughter, I have no choice but to go", Holly said, rolling her eyes.

"And I have to wear a DRESS, Mandrake! But, you want to hear the worst part of it? Ever since me and my sisters turned four-teen, we've been paired up with dance partners. The past few years, I've been able to sneak out of it, but since the Thanksgiving before last, she's had me dance with this bloke named Richard!"

"Isn't he interested in you?", Mandrake asked.

Was that a hint of jealousy in his voice?

"Oh is he!", Holly said with distaste. "The way he looks at me is so CREEPY! It's even worse on Valentines Day. On the bright side, that's probably the best thing about being here", Holly said.
"The day I left, was the day before the ball."