CHAPTER 16: NEW LIFE

Start from the beginning

" Your Majesty, I've been wondering about asking you to grant me some kind of...job, "

" Job? " he quirked. " Ava, I told you, you're a guest, "

" Just because I'm a guest, I cannot just stay inside the chamber and act like a Queen knowing nothing, Your Majesty. " she huffed but quickly composed herself when Lucas turned to look at her, she continued: " Probably, I've to stay here for a while and we're not sure how long. I can't stay here doing nothing as long as I'm acting as the Queen, let me do something, Your Majesty, I don't want to be just a burden. " she sounded desperate at the end while the King only sighed.

" Ava, "

" Please, Your Majesty, let me do something. Just think of it as a way for me to repay your kindness to me, "

" Fine... What do you do? "

He breathed and decided to give her a small interview that started with Ava gently biting on her lips, thinking.

" To be honest... I do nothing, "

Lucas snorted, chuckling softly.

" I know, I'm not asking that. What can you do? Designing? " he guessed only for her to shake her head to the side looking unsure of her own decision now.

" No, I've never even tried a designer dress, "

" Cooking? "

Ava grinned staring at every corner but the King, blinking like an innocent toddler.

" Nope, my brother never let me try as he thought I'd end up in jail for, maybe, accidentally poisoning him, "

He sighed at her sheepish smile.

" Painting? "

" Ah... No. "

" Interrogating? "

" Huh? "

" Organising? "

" Like cleaning untidy rooms? "

He looked at her as if she was crazy. She knew nothing.

" Accounting? "

" Nope never heard of it. "

He sighed out loud.

" Have a cup of milk, " he offered her one and plopped on the couch before sighing, dramatically, at the fact that she knew nothing.

Ava squirmed, awkwardly, staring at the warm milk as her useless brain tempted her to say something nice to the King for now, for being...useless.

" Your Majesty...I'm sorry, but... I'll try to learn them. "

Only after a minute, Lucas straightened up, eyeing her with a keen expression as he could remember the faint memory of how Ava was described when he saw her first. She was somehow good at acting or just managed to go along a script.

He's not going to ask her to audition as an actress, trust the writer.

" Ava, have you ever tried to learn any of your hobbies or something that interested you? "

With the new question, Ava hummed agreeing.

" I learnt tailoring when I was in 10th or 11th grade, I don't know... "

" Tailoring... " Lucas's face slightly brightened as his eyes drifted to the unfinished papers over his table. " Seems good and how long did you take? "

" I don't remember...it was 3-4 months, maybe, " she leaned, her shoulders shrugged back.

" Then fine, I have a perfect job for you, we'll talk about that later. Now, shall we go on a walk around the castle? "