Chapter 64: Filler Arc ― Aegon and Viserys Targaryen

Start from the beginning

"Good to see you're finally on your best behavior, you two," one of the handmaidens observed.

"Hey, milady, we're doing our best to live up to your specific standards," Aegon humorously curtsied.

"Well, you still have areas to improve."

"Ooh, ouch."

"She's got you there, Aegon," Viserys stated. "But we both can't remain sitting on our laurels forever. After all, you'll be pretty busy in two years."

"Ah. You mean that." Aegon was reminded of his father's previous announcement that he would marry his sister, Aemma. While he was old enough to understand the political implications of such a union and the potential for the Caltrops to use her as a pawn if no action had been taken beforehand, precautions were taken to ensure Aemma's safety. Because they were raised in a loving family that deeply cared for one another, they fiercely protected each other. House Targaryen's ancient traditions, including the practice of incestuous marriages to maintain their Valyrian bloodline pure, a custom dating back to the days of Old Valyria before the Doom. Due to the Doctrine of Exceptionalism negotiated between King Jaehaerys and the Faith, they held themselves apart from and above the noble Westerosi families since their traditions did not originate from Andalos. These customs and practices were seen as necessary to maintain the strength and purity of their bloodline, which they viewed as essential to their exceptionalism. "I know the rest of us have always been... well, close, but... Marry her? She's our sister. It feels so weird."

"Would you rather see Aemma be brutally oppressed at the hands of another?"

"What?! Seven hells, no, never!"

"Hey Aegon, you're my twin. I understand how you feel. Believe me. I really do. But our family's safety is at stake here. We must maintain our Valyrian bloodline and ensure that Aemma remains protected. Our parents entrusted us with this responsibility, and we made a promise to them. So let's keep it."

"Haaah... yeah, I know. I'll do what I can and marry Aemma, but what if I make a mistake? What if I do something wrong? What if I hurt her? I-I don't want to do that."

"You won't," Viserys reassured him. "And if you do," he continued, "I won't hesitate to do what mother does to us: I'll nag you until you're ready to tear out your hair."

Aegon shuddered. "Eugh, that's one thing I can do without; thank you very much," he said. "Has anyone heard on Aunt Rhaenyra, Viserys?"

"Come to think of it; there was a raven from Duskendale earlier."

"Gunthor? What did he say?"

"It was about Aunt Rhaenyra. Lord Darklyn said she's given birth to a healthy baby boy."

"Wow. So we have another cousin? Is she okay?"

"Yes, Aegon. We would've been told otherwise if things occurred differently."

"What about Jace and Luke? Or Joffrey, for that matter?"

"Joffrey's two, so he still can't talk yet. Luke's almost as tall as we are, but he's in good spirits. At least, I hope so. They're doing everything they can for the new baby. Especially Jace. I hear he's been taking a more active role around the household. Studying, training at arms, he's trying to better himself so he can be seen as a strong leader one day – though I worry Jace might be pushing himself a little too hard."

"But that's good. Isn't it? Why does that a concern?"

"Because Jace has a habit of forgetting that, Aegon, just like Daeron. You know how frustrated he gets when things don't go according to plan. Remember that one time during the Grand Maester's history lesson?"