Chapter 49: Confessions

Start from the beginning

I didn't know what to believe. He felt like a stranger in front of me.

I guess we may never know what actually happened.

"It's all in the past now." Mom cut him off. Despite everything that happened, I decided to go and see him during that trip I took weeks ago after seeing how much it meant to you." She paused. "I did my best. I never wanted you to lack anything or feel your father's absence. I thought I was doing the right thing by not telling you about him or who he was but instead, by not telling you I only made his absence seem even bigger in your life." She paused. "I never told you about anything from my past because I never wanted any of it to ever hurt you."

"I know we've lost a lot of time together, but I'd love to make up for it, for us the time we have now and get to know each other a lot better." My father said. Seeing how we were strangers to each other, it was best if we stuck to a first-name basis for a while.

"You could have told me about all of this. My whole life I grew up feeling abandoned and rejected and like a part of me was missing. I always wondered about my dad whenever I saw the other kids with theirs. Every Father's Day I'd pretend it didn't exist so I wouldn't think about it. I just wish you had told me something." I paused.

I painted my mother as the villain who never wanted me to know my father. I would have preferredshe had told me. So she wouldn't have to share all that hurt alone.

I still had one final question, the one I'd chosen to ignore and perhaps the most importantone. Itook a deep breath as I gathered my thoughts. Was I ready for the answer? I've seen you before, where was it?" I asked.

Suddenly, he had a hesitant look. "We met briefly, that day at the hotel. With my daughter." He finally answered.

He didn't need to say anything else. I knew it.

Madison's father was also my dad!

Of all things, I was hoping that I would be wrong this time.

"This is too much for me right now. I need to breathe." I said getting up from my seat.

"Are you sure? We can talk about it." Mom asked.

"I need to process everything," I answered.

I left the room and struggled upthe stairs to my room.

This was a nightmare.

I sat down in a corner of my room with my back pressed against the wall.

I didn't know how to feel. I couldn't catch my breath or calm down and think clearly.

I thought this would be the happiest day of my life but now I wish I had never known.

For so long, I felt like I didn't know who I was, and I had so many unanswered questions. I felt like I got everything I asked for, but it was slowly turning into a nightmare.

Would I have ever known if I had chosen to stay in my bedroom? I'm sure she would have chosen to continue hiding things from me.

How would my life have turned out if he had known earlier?

That meant Madison was my...

The thought made me want to vomit.

Thinking about it now, I probably would have been poisoned had he known I was his daughter.

It's no wonder I'm like her. A liar. At least she is good at it.

It sucks being lied to. You probably think you are protecting someone, but it only hurts them in the end. I couldn't stand myself anymore. Tristan has been nothing but good to me. He didn't deserve this.

My hands were shaking when I grabbed my phone from my bed.

I needed to speak to Tristan. I had pushed away the thought of telling Tristan the truth. I had convinced myself that it was for the best and that it was better if he never found out the truth, but I realized this wasn't fair to him.

"Hello?" Tristan finally answered. His voice was calm and soft.

His voice seemed to be exactly what I needed to finally calm my nerves. I found myself breathing steadily again.

"Hi, are you okay?" He asked snapping me out of my thoughts.

"I'm fine," I answered frantically. "I just need to talk to you right now, about everything..." I answered.

"Listen, I can't talk right now. I'm in the middle of something." He interrupted. "I'll probably see you very soon though, I have a surprise for you." He answered.

I was about to yell that this couldn't wait and confesseverything I'd done. But he hung up. Without even a goodbye or have a nice day.

I thought he had chosen to maintain his distance because he was still processing and healing from everything. However, this felt personal. Maybe Katy was right, he was avoiding me.

But, if he really was ignoring me, should he say that he would see me soon?

Maybe I was overreacting. Hemightbe out of the country for all I know. I thought of calling him back and not having to wait so long to tell him about everything but then I'd just be a bother and I had already caused enough problems in his life.

There was a loud knock on my door. I was pretty sure Mom wouldn't bother me, at least for a while.

Before I responded, my door swung open.

Instead of my crazy sister walking in as I expected, Layla walked into my room.

She had a wide grin on her face while holding shopping bags in both arms as she struggled to carry everything. "I have good news for you," she sang as she closed the door.

She paused as she stared at me on the floor. "What happened to you? Why does everyone in this house look like someone just died? Are you okay?" she asked.

She placed the bags on the floor before approaching me.

"I'm fine," I answered. With the back of my hand, I wiped tearsfrom my face.

"Anyway," Layla continued. "Right now is not the time to be sad. We have so much to prepare you for." She smiled.

What crazy thing was she planning now?

"I know I'm technically not supposed to say this but..." she paused. Her smile grew even wider. "Tristan is going to propose." She yelled out.

____________________________

A/N: Thank you so much for reading. I hope you enjoyed the chapter.

Please vote and comment down your thoughts.

I have a surprise coming up in the next chapter.