Chapter 10: How much will it cost?

Ashley's POV

My body froze as I suddenly regretted my words.

What had I just done? Where did that idea even come from?

I panicked; I didn't want him to fire me, so I just said the first crazy words that came to mind. It looks like it did the trick but now I was in even deeper trouble.

"And you are sure about this?" Tristan spoke snapping me out of my thoughts.

I nodded my head vigorously.

What was I doing? Why was I adding to my lie? It would only get me into more trouble.

Maybe I could take back my words and tell him that I wasn't pregnant and that what I had just said was only a mistake, but how do you make a mistake in saying 'it's your child,'.

Tristan paced the room and then kicked the table, knocking it from its position.

"How am I just supposed to believe you are pregnant, you could be lying for all I know." He spoke.

I was lying. But it was too late for me to back out of this lie now.

"I know how you feel, I was also surprised when I found out," I spoke.

My voice lowed at each word; I wasn't very good at lying.

"Come on, I don't need to remind you about your profession. You are not exactly on my list of ten people I can trust. This could all be an act for money." He blunted out.

"You don't have to insult me," I retorted defensively.

"How I'm I supposed to just believe it's my baby? You could have slept with a hundred other guys for all I know." He barked.

My anger surfaced as my cheeks reddened. Maybe I deserved some of that, but that was just uncalled for.

"I'll have you know that you were a very willing participant in this. That's how we made this baby." I yelled pointing at my empty stomach.

My words seemed to do the trick. A calmer expression appeared on his face.

Approaching me, he leaned in closer. His body hovered over my small frame, once again trapping me in a corner.

It's like he enjoys watching me panic.

"Now tell me, how much is it going to cost?" He whispered, his breath fanning against my cheek.

"Excuse me," I whispered, trying to gather all the willpower I had to prove to him that his presence didn't bother me at all.

"Come on, I know people from your profession very well. All you want is money." He spoke.

He pulled away from me.

There he was again, throwing more insults at me. Who did he think he was?

He walked out of the room, slamming the door on his way out.

Did that mean I could leave now?

Maybe I could run away and book a flight to the furthest place possible, but with what money? If I thought he was being cruel now, I could imagine what he would do when he found out I was lying.

Before I had decided on my next move, Tristan was back in the room. This time with a more relaxed expression.

He pulled out a piece of paper and then handed it to me. It was a check.

"What is this for?" I asked. My eyes widened at the number on it.

It was a check for two million dollars. I have never seen so much money in my life.