Chapter 39:What are you hiding?

Ashley's POV

I frantically turned behind me, my mind going into panic mode. Tristan was just a few steps down the hall, his attention fixed on his phone as he continued walking.

I could feel my heart beat faster with every step that Tristan took. Any more of this and I'd collapse from a heart attack.

I couldn't risk the two of them ever meeting.

I've done way too many things for it to end like this. If Tristan was going to find out, I'd rather be the one to tell him.

I did the only thing my brain could think of under so much pressure.

I quickly turned around and slammed the door into Waylen's face. This left him puzzled and his nose in pain. He took a step back and for a second, he yelled out in pain.

I pressed my back against the door.Tristan now stood a few steps in front of me as he looked up.

He stopped in front of me, his eyes staring at me suspiciously. His eyes then moved toward the door with a questioning look. It took him a few seconds to decide that I wasn't a flight risk and had not been doing anything suspicious.
By his expression, I could tell he had dismissed any thoughts he might have had.

"Do you want the cake or not?" He asked facing me. "Your tantrums are only going to work against you." He added nonchalantly.

Why was he here asking me about food when I told him I wasn't hungry? Besides, all the anxiety inside of me had more than sufficed for all the hunger I had.

"Just tell my mom to leave it on the counter," I answered dismissively.

He continued to stare at me, his suspicious look returning.

Why hadn't he left yet?

"What are you hiding?" he asked with his brow raised.

Why did he suddenly have to turn into a detective? I was surprised Waylen hadn't made another sound or even knocked yet.

"Nothing," I answered dismissively. "It's not like I'll be able to sneak in a bottle of alcohol or something," I answered raising my hands to assure him that I wasn't hiding anything.

It seemed it was a bit too soon for me to be throwing around such words. He didn't seem to get the joke.

"You should just go back inside, I have a neighbour that I need to deal with outside. I'll be back in a few minutes." I said.

"Fine," he sighed. "I'll come back if you take longer than five minutes. If I don't find you, I'll have to call the police." He said.

He turned around and made his way back to the living room. I watched to make sure that he had completely disappeared.

I was getting tired of this side of him. Something had to change.

I opened the door again to Waylen who held his nose trying to prevent more blood from coming out of his nose. He used his other hand to wipe some blood off. Some of it was now covering his white shirt.

I felt a bitsorry for him, just a little bit.

This time I stepped out, closing the door behind me.

Waylen now stared at me annoyed, his cheeks reddened in anger. He fisted his hand while the other held his bloody nose.

"I knew it, you were really cheating on me with that guy," Waylen exclaimed. He must have recognized Tristan's voice. "I should have known better than to think that I could trust you." He yelled.