Chapter 12: Emergency

Ashley's POV

The phone nearly slipped out of my hand as I took in every one of his words.

"Are you still there?" the guy asked in a concerned tone.

My mouth became dry as tears welled up in my eyes.

"Yes," I managed to answer.

Tristan was now staring at me puzzled, trying to figure out what was going on.

"As I've said, your mother is not doing well. You need to get here right now." He repeated.

What could possibly have happened to my mother? She was fine this morning.

My legs weakened as I leaned on the wall for support.

Tristan noticed the state I was in. He took the phone from my trembling hand to answer the guy.

He listened to the man on the phone as he paced on the spot.

"Where?" Tristan asked on the phone.

Seconds later he hung up the call.

Tristan looked at me earnestly. I felt like my whole world was falling apart. For a long time, my mother was all I had.

"Let's go," Tristan spoke.

He grabbed my hand as we rushed out of the clinic and to Tristan's car.

He instructed his driver of the location of the hospital as I tried to hold back my tears. My mother had to be alright soon. Was this my punishment for all my recent lies?

I hadn't expected Tristan to be this kind. He probably had a heart deep down.

The car must have been at its speed limit. We arrived at the hospital in no time. I think we must have driven through a few red lights. Under normal conditions, I would have been fearing for my life but all I could think about was my mother.

I rushed out of the car with tears streaming down my cheeks. I nearly bumped into people as I raced into the hospital building.

It wasn't difficult finding the receptionist's desk as I inquired about my mother.

Tristan was following behind me.

I nearly crashed into the large desk as I struggled to catch my breath.

"I'm looking for my mother. She was recently admitted here." I breathed heavily.

"What is her name ma'am?" the receptionist asked.

"It's..."

"Ashley!" I heard my name down the corridor.

I turned around to see Ivy running towards me.

Wait, what was she doing here?

I paused as I turned my attention to her.

"I'm so glad you could make it this fast, it's really bad." She spoke.

How did she even know my mom was in here?

Was this her plan? I don't think anyone could have planned anything like this.

But all of those questions didn't matter. I just wanted to know that my mom was okay.

Ivy grabbed my hand, leading us to the room as we rushed down the corridor.

We finally stopped at a door.

"The doctors are busy with her in there, it has been a while," Ivy spoke.