Chapter 49: Confessions

Ashley's POV

I froze as I struggled to comprehend everything that was happening.

I couldn't have heard right. He was my father.

Sure, I noticed some resemblance between the two of us, but on any other day, I would have just walked past him and not thought anything of it.

I had met him before. But no,  It couldn't be him. I pushed the thought away. I must have been mistaken. I was probably just confused and was now making up any crazy ideas to make sense of everything. What were the odds of it being him?

Mom looked equally shaken by this as I was. I noticed how her hands shook.

I couldn't shake off what I had just heard.I was his daughter.

I wonder what her excuse will be this time. Was she going to pretend I heard incorrectly so she could get out of this? But not this time. I was going to get to the bottom of this.

"Ashley," Mom whispered. Her voice nearly broke. "This was not the way I wanted you to find out." She breathed.

So, it was true.

How many other secrets was she hiding from me? At first, we found out we had a secret uncle and now this.

I tightened my grip on my crutch to keep myself from falling. "Did you ever plan for me to find out?" I found myself saying.

Mom stepped towards me, reaching for my arm.

I blocked her away with my hand.

She paused, staring at me frightened. "I know how confusing this whole thing must be. We'll talk about this." She said calmly.

I could hardly see as tears whelmed up in my eyes. I'm sure my head was spinning too.

Had to be strong at this moment. I've waited my whole life to hear the truth and I was finally going to get the answers I needed.

My so-called father stood silently as he stared at me empathetically.

Father. I still couldn't wrap my head around the word. I had chosen to believe that he just simply never existed. I still couldn't believe it.

Mom was the first to lead the way to the living room.

I didn't expect the day I finally found out who my father is to turn into an interrogation. I thought it would be much happier and filled with tight hugs.

I sat down on the couch as I tried to gain control of my nerves. I felt like my lungs were closing on me. I took deep breaths to calm myself.

"Are you okay? Do you want anything to drink?" Mom asked.

"Are you finally going to explain everything?" I interrupted her.

She seemed hesitant for a second before going on to take her seat. She fumbled with her hands for a while before speaking. "When I got pregnant, it was a very difficult time for me. I was kicked out of the house and my family refused to have anything to do with me. I was alone. I wrote a letter to your dad about my pregnancy but instead of getting the support I needed, all I got back was a letter telling me never to call or show up again and with ten thousand dollars for an abortion." She continued.

My breathing nearly stopped as Mom continued with her story. It was a lot worse than whatever horrific story I could have made up in my brain. So why was he here? And after all of this.

"But I never got that letter. I would have been there every step of the way. My regret is not having had the opportunity to watch you grow up," he said. I had almost forgotten he was there.