Chapter 31: Falling for the trap

Tristan's POV

I leaned into my chair and stared at the ceiling, ignoring the hundreds of things just begging for my attention.

I still couldn't get my mind off everything, nor the fact that Ashley had mentioned my mother. If anything, I don't believe in coincidence or in mistakes like that.

It meant my mother was back to her old tricks. I knew her too well to ever believe she'd stay out of my business.

The only question was, what exactly was she planning?

I tried to think back on everything. She had been uncharacteristically nice to Ashley, unlike the way she had threatened every other woman in my life whom she had ever thought would come close to me.

Something was up.

Could it be that she found out that Ashley was pregnant? Having a grandchild has been my mother's dream since I moved out and she realized she didn't have her hold on me anymore. Maybe that explains her extra involvement. But I knew her too well. She would have spread the news across town by now. It had to be something else.

I didn't want to press on it with Ashely, she would know I was suspicious.

The more I pretended I had no idea what was going on, the more likely someone was to slip up.

Something told me there was more to this. I needed to find out.

"Are you still worried about those pictures in the tabloids? The whole thing has been sorted out," Luke said. He was now standing in front of my desk. I hadn't even heard him walk in.

I chuckled.

Me worrying about that would mean that I actually thought he was competition.

"Why would I be worried about that?" You know how Vincent is. Tomorrow he'll be in another scandal again, this will all blow over." I answered instead.

He placed a folder on my desk.

"Just one question, if you were a mid-fifties woman with no job and nothing to do, what would you be up to?" I asked. I twirled in my chair.

He raised his eyebrows. "Don't tell me you suspect your mother now." He chuckled.

"No," I answered. "Suspension would mean that I'm unsure. I'm absolutely sure that she is up to something."

"If you are saying this, it's because you are thinking of something." He spoke. He pulled out a chair and sat down, staring at me amusingly.

I folded my hands, placing both of them on my desk. "I need you to keep an eye on her," I said.

His eyes widened. Several expressions swept across his face as he processed my words. "Are you crazy?" He finally whispered. "Your mother is the most suspicious person by nature. Do you know what she could do to me? I'd rather not get on her wrong side." He said alarmed.

He looked around the room suspiciously, almost as if he was expecting there to be some secret security cameras hidden in the room.

"You are like her second child. Besides, I'd do it myself but I have a lot to do." I insisted.

He shook his head no. "This was not part of the job description," Luke sighed.

"At least now you can add private investigator to your resume," I answered.

"More like Tristan's personal nanny." He chuckled.

"Think whatever you like, as long as you get the job done," I answered.