Sick

When I woke up this morning, I knew it was over for me. With a sore throat, a runny nose and headache, I knew that it was to late to save me from the flu.

Of course I had to get the flu now. On halloween, when I had been excited to go to that halloween party with the others. I usually wasn't the kind of girl to socialise alot, but ever since starting college I'd been trying to come out of my shell. Trying to talk to new people. Like Ethan Landry. And others.

I picked up my phone and called Tara, letting her know that I'd gotten sick and couldn't make it to the halloween party later. I could hear over the phone that she wasn't alone and that she had already started drinking.

"Get better soon Y/n, I'll drink in honour of you." She said, which made someone laugh in the background. I think that was Chads laughter. I smiled, but felt that creeping feeling of missing out. The fear of missing out, of everyone else having so much more fun than me.

And, also, a few days ago me and Ethan had been talking. Joking around. Connecting. I think that he might like me too. Maybe. Or I'm delusional. Who knows? But we had talked and he had said that he would get me a drink when we were at the halloween party. A disappointed sigh escaped from my lips. Guess there won't be a drink now. I removed the phone from my ear and coughed.

"Thanks Tara. Have fun guys!"

Then I was alone again. Alone with the headache, the sore throat and the coughing. Me and the three musketeers. I sighed and went back to bed, glaring at the halloween costume that was hanging on my wardrobe. The costume was perfect. I'd been looking forward to halloween for months. Can't help but feel disappointed.

I lifted the covers and tucked myself in, feeling sorry for myself. Maybe I can watch a horror movie or something? The Stab movies are a classic. Or maybe something else?

In my lap was my laptop, which I now was looking at in order to decide which movie to watch. I must have fallen asleep before deciding because when I woke up, it was dark outside. My laptops battery had died.

Then I heard it again, the reason I had woken up. A knock. Who in the hell would knock at my door now?

After contemplating just ignoring the person, I pulled myself together and got up from my bed. I walked towards the front door with angry steps and opened it.

All the anger washed away the minute I saw Ethan. He had a mismatching halloween costume, a paperbox armour and a hat.

"Hi, uhm Tara told me that you're sick." He said, and stared at me for a few seconds. I tilted my head, smiling. I think Ethans drunk. Or close to it.

"Yeah, my throat is killing me." I explained. Then I looked down, and saw the red mug he was holding in one of his hands. He saw that I was looking and raised the mug towards me.

"It's the drink I promised!" He explained proudly. Then his smile vanished and his hand lowered slightly. "But you're sick, so you probably don't want a drink..."

I couldn't help but laugh, which made my throat hurt even more.

"Ethan, thank you, but I think I'll have to take a drink from you another time."

"Yeah, yeah. Of course. I'm dumb. I'm sorry." He was quiet for a second, looking at the drink in his hand. Then he drank it all, bottom up. When he was done, he looked down at me. "You probably think that I'm really weird, standing at your door in the middle of the night. But I just wanted to see you. And see that you, you know. That you're okay." He said, slurring on some words.

"Thanks Ethan," I began, his words making me feel warm inside. "But I should probab-" Then I was forced to sneeze and I could feel my runny nose.

"Uhm, I have tissues..." Ethan began and started to franatically look for said tissues. Then he froze in his movement with this dumb look on his face. "Yeah, the tissues... I gave them away to Sam. But I can buy tissues to you?" He offered but I just shook my head.

"Ethan?"

"Yeah, Y/n?"

"You're a bit weird."

"Oh."

"But I still like you."

"Oh. Did you say that you like me?"

"Yeah, I kinda do like you."

"Are you sure? It's not the fever talking?" He asked to confirm. I smiled and shook my head.

"No, I do like you. I don't know why but I feel like I can be myself around you. You don't judge me."

"That's because there is nothing to judge, Y/n. You're perfect, there is literally nothing I could dislike about you."

His words made those warm, fluffy feelings appear again. Should I invite him in, or end on a high note and talk to him when he's sober? Speaking of which...

"Ethan, doesn't you live far away from my apartment?"

"Uh. Yeah it's a distance but it's no worries. I'll walk."

"Or, you know, you can sleep here? I probably won't spread my disease as long as you keep your distance."

Ethan smiled and slowly walked into my apartment.