Painted Face (Angst/Fluff) !

Sorry for not updating a lot, I've just been struggling to find inspiration for a story, but when in doubt Mitski always pulls through. It's a really goofy story but hopefully, you all like it! <3

tw. cringe names 

High School AU + Minor Beefleaf and Hualian

---

"Welcome one! Welcome, all, to the Heaven Official's High School Carnival!" Shi Qingxuan called out through a megaphone, initially, it was supposed to be Ling Wen's job but as the other two tumors said 'she wasn't serving' with her monotone voice tired from the late nights.

Some volunteers from their neighbor school were also there. Hua Cheng, He Xuan, and Qi Rong had been sent to help with fundraising, so they looked insanely glum there.  Hua Cheng's face immediately lit up when Xie Lian called him over to help out with fortune telling, they were immediately swarmed by little kids ready to have their 'fortunes' told. 

Their schools teamed up to have a joint athletics event every year and two months before they would join up to do fundraising, usually the other school, Zainan (Calamities) Academy hosted the fundraising but this year it was their turn. They sent three out of the four school leaders since Bai Wuxiang was busy and had a rocky past with many of the students at Heaven Official's High School.  

He Xuan and Hua Cheng were the head boys and Qi Rong was a prefect, Bai Wuxiang was more the head of the student council but he still counted towards being a leader. At the other school, Xie Lian and Ling Wen were the head boy and girl even though both of them normally kept to themselves. 

Most people in the carnival were enjoying their time whether they were partaking in activities or running different stalls and stands, although a certain few people really just wanted to melt away under the hot summer sun. Example one, He Xuan, Shi Qingxuan aka his boyfriend had dragged him into running one of the games, let's just say a goth, emo teen surrounded by bright plushies and children doesn't exactly look normal.

Another example was Feng Xin and Mu Qing. They were both the troublemakers of the school, that title would have belonged to Pei Ming and Shi Wudu if the head girl hadn't held them back from causing trouble. The two had managed to land themselves in detention the day before the carnival, so the principal came up with a special punishment just for them.

"Running the circus and face painting was not what I imagined these fundraisers would be like, seriously how does Zainan do this like every year?" Feng Xin kept groaning about how this was unfair and how the sun was too hot. "You're the one who landed us here. It was your idea to staple Guoshi's copy of the Ethics Sutra to the flagpole." Mu Qing fired back before rolling his eyes. "Mister!"

The two of them looked down from their spots in the stands, a large group of maybe 20-30 kids stood in front of them waving money around. "Can you put on a show and paint our faces?" Mu Qing sighed before putting on his biggest, fakest grin ever. With a very forced speech, he replied, "Of. Course." Feng Xin's 'friend' Jian Lan had also volunteered to help him on the circus so they both marched over to the stage. 

Although Mu Qing would never admit it, Jian Lan's little gestures to Feng Xin pissed him off. The way she'd wrap her arms around him and make kissy faces sickened him, especially when Feng Xin was closeted to everyone except him and Xie Lian. "Come on! We need to entertain them well~" Feng Xin groaned before following her, although he was smart and athletic he was also extremely blind to other people's feelings, maybe that was why he never noticed Mu Qing crushing on him from the sidelines. 

A few little girls and boys sat in front of Mu Qing to get their faces painted as they pointed to different designs. He couldn't help but sneak a few glances at the crowd in front of Feng Xin and Jian Lan, watching attentively as they spun around doing flips and tricks galore. They were both on the volleyball team but Feng Xin also did gymnastics on the side, although Mu Qing bullied him for doing such a prissy sport he was thoroughly impressed by all Feng Xin could do.