Family

The repaired town was bustling with activity, families moving around, people still settling into a more peaceful rythm after the war. Within the town is a house, inside the house filled with freshly set up furniture, all donated.

Connor stood, covering Melanie's eyes as they stood in front of a room, the door swung open and he guided her in.

"Keep them closed, I need to grab something" instructed Connor, the house warm and inviting. He grabbed a photo and set it gently atop some drawers.

"Open your eyes" he encouraged, stepping out of the room, she looked around, scanning everything before giving him a look of surprise, it's all stuff from her home in the human town. Tears filled her eyes but she grabbed a teddy, hugging it tight and smiling widely.

"Thank you! Thank you!" She cried out, touching everything as if it would suddenly vanish. "Thanks bro" she giggled, he snorted and shook his head, knowing she was saying it to be sweet, but also as a playful jab.

"Have fun" he chuckled, moving down the hall and continuing to set up the house. Volunteers had kindly helped fix up the house and clean it, his excitement and relief showing as he gazed around.

He stepped back and opened the front door, inviting in an angel girl, she hugged him tight and he hugged her back. They had gotten real close over the time it took to prepare the house, she had volunteered and one thing led to another, and the two fell helplessly in love.

This was the first time Melanie had seen the house, staying at the kind werewolf captain's house to prevent anyone bullying or mistreating her. Connor spun his lover in a circle, her wings fluttering as she giggled.

"I think it's time you two meet" he offered, she examined him and he put her down, she smiled widely and nodded her head.

"Of course. I'm so excited to meet your family, Ben and Melanie seem wonderful" she eagerly agreed. It took a lot for her to beat her biases, but seeing how much he adored the girl he referred to as a sister, she was willing to change her perception.

Together they cooked a pleasant dinner, some vegetables and meatloaf. Connor called out to Melanie who left her room, eyeing the angel lady with some concern.

"This is my girlfriend Sherry, I hope you two get on well" he stated, Melanie, seeing his love for the angel, pushed passed her concern and stepped closer, sitting at the table.

With a deep breath, Sherry pushed aside any biases and held out her hand.

"Hello Melanie, Connor talks non stop about you and Ben" she giggled, Melanie took her hand and they shook. It was pleasant and Connor watched, knowing things would be ok.

The next day, people began turning up, setting up a barbecue in the backyard and preparing for a fun, welcome home party for Connor. Sherry helped set things up, glancing through the windows, watching Connor hold Melanie's hand, telling her, that if she ever feels uncomfortable, she is to tell him and that she can come inside and nobody would be inside the house.

Sherry smiled softly, it was hard to see the girl as the monster people talk about humans being. She's just a girl, who to Sherry's horror experienced way to much pain and sadness.

Connor left the house with Melanie following, she waved to Dylan who ran over, hugging her and floating slightly off the ground, before landing and laughing. A lot of people showed up, Melanie sticking close to the people she knew.

"Welcome everyone! I'm so glad to have you all here! I'm grateful to everyone who volunteered and donated to help me set up this little warm home. I am excited to see what happens next, for me, my friends, my family, my beautiful Sherry and all my neighbours" said Connor, Sherry hooted, shaking Melanie slightly in her joy.

Ben was waved onto the stage, Connor wrapped a casual arm around his shoulder. Sherry went to follow, Melanie hesitating, unsure what these others would think of her, or even do to her. Sherry smiled softly and grabbed her hand, Connor glanced over, concerned for the worry in Melanie's face.

"Come on, we need a family photo to celebrate" gently insisted Sherry, Melanie squeezed her hand and followed, some people going quiet, not that anyone could notice with Greg's, the Captain's and Tyler's excited shouting.

Melanie stood in front of Connor, still shorter then him. He pulled Sherry against his side and they posed for the photo. Melanie could feel suspicious eyes on her, growing sad by the reaction to her, she dosen't want to ruin the welcome home party.

After the photo, she quietly went away to nibble nervously on some finger food, watching Sherry, Ben, and Connor talk together. Her legs swung and she smiled softly, happy for them.

She was startled by people coming over, talking amongst themselves and grabbing some food. They looked to her and scrutinised her.

"You're a human" stated one, as if she was trying to hide it.

"Yes, I am" murmured Melanie, confused by the statement and way it was spoken.

"Monsters like you have no right soiling a brave soldiers home" spat another, she shuffled and stood, gasping as one of them grabbed her arm.

"You're all better off locked away. Away from any of us" spat another, she looked at them, becoming more scared as they glared at her. She flinched as one lifted their arm. The grip suddenly left her as Greg grabbed the person by the collar of their shirt.

"Leave her the fuck alone bastard" growled Greg, threatening as he can easily be. Melanie stared at him in surprise. She has long since forgiven him for his brutality, but can sometimes see that same guy who beat her with a piece of wood.

He wrapped an arm around her shoulder and led her away, gritting his teeth, his wing blocking her from their sight.

They quietly sat off to the side, him holding her close protectively, prepared to forever make up for his own shortcomings. He wasn't going to let anyone get away with harming or saying cruel things to the young teen.

By dinner, majority of guests had left, the rest retreating inside for a more relaxed dinner and peaceful conversations. Sherry leaning against Connor lovingly, Ben talking about his dad. Dylan chuckled as he spoke with Greg. Tyler listened loyally to Ben talk.

Melanie yawned, resting her head in her arms, fading off to sleep, surrounded by the soft chatter, love and family.