☆ Remember Yesterday ☆

"But the suburbs hold no charms to soothe the restless dreams of youth"

Subdivions

Byeol sat on a hard wood chair in front of her vanity table, singing along to the radio that thrummed melodies. It was an old city pop song that Byeol was very fond of.

"Hitori aki no umi o mitsumete omoidasu..." Byeol sang along quietly to the small CD player that sat on the vanity in front of her. A smile creeped over her face as she leaned close to the mirror. Her fingers held her liquid eyeliner steady as she carefully drew a small wing on her eyelid. "Ano natsu no kage o sagashite..."

She sat back, smiling at her reflection. She brushed a strand of her short, taupe pixie cut out of her dark eyes, humming softly.

A loud banging at her bedroom door made Byeol jolt. On the other side of the door, her mother was shouting at her to get going.

"Byeol, ije irona!"

'Get up now, Byeol!'

"Omma, galkkeyo!"

'I'm going, Mom!'

Byeol resisted the urge to huff, checking her phone to see that it was only about 7. She had plenty of time to get to work. Still, she stood up and finished getting dressed as quickly as she could. She was still struggling with her tights as she hurried down the stairs, picking lint off her dark work cardigan.

Her mother, Ji-yeon, was in the living room. She stood in front of the big mirror that sat above the side table, in her blazer and slacks as she clasped on her earrings. The picture of a working woman.

"Joeun achimieyo, omma!" Byeol called from the doorway. Her was voice cheerful as she bounced on the balls of her feet, smoothing out any wrinkles in her pencil skirt.

'Good morning, Mom!'

Her mother didn't look up, didn't take any notice of her, only telling her that her breakfast was ready and that she could eat it on her way to work.

Byeol sighed heavily and glanced at her phone, her spirits quickly falling at her mother's tone. Her mood deteriorated even more upon noticing that it was dreary outside. She only had about an hour to get to work, and it looked like a thunderstorm was about to roll in.

"Damn it-" Byeol mumbled bitterly, shoving her phone into the pocket of her sweater.

She hurried to the kitchen, grabbing her purse and coat from the hook by the door. She took two of the still-warm egg breads that sat on the kitchen counter, pulling on her soft leather jacket and work pumps that sat by the kitchen door.

She called to her mom that she'd be home for dinner, receiving only grumbling in return. She stepped out the kitchen door, popping in her earbuds as she began her walk to work.

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

It was a wet and dark day in Seoul, and Byeol regretted not grabbing her umbrella, but she trudged on. She hummed and bopped her head to her music as she walked.

Soon she was cold and wet, and deeply regretted not taking the bus, expensive as it was for her.

Oh, well. I'm almost to work anyway... Byeol thought to herself as she pulled the back of her jacket up to cover her taupe pixie cut.

At long last she arrived at a local vacation booking agency. Byeol had worked there since highschool as a receptionist, could you believe it? As sad as it sounded, it was likely going to be the only job she ever had. And even though it was dull and mindless work, it paid okay, so she really had no other option than to keep it.