☆ An American Band ☆

"But when we got up on stage and got ready to play, people came alive"

Rock & Roll Band

Byeol was awoken the next morning at the crack of dawn by her phone buzzing off the hook.

She groaned, sitting up on her mattress as she glanced around the room. Lilliana and Kaen were still fast asleep, the covers steadily rising and falling as they breathed deeply.

Byeol's phone buzzed again and she reached under her pillow, rummaging around til she found it. She turned it on to see at least a dozen missed calls and texts from her mom.

She huffed and turned off her notifications, kicking off her blankets. The hardwood flooring was cold against her feet as she walked to the bathroom.

As she left the bedroom, she noticed Lisa sitting on the couch in the living room, drinking a cup of coffee in her bathrobe and Velcro hair curlers.

"Good morning, Byeol," She called, glancing up from her magazine.

"Mornin', Lisa," Byeol walked over and took a seat next to the manager, pulling her oversized t-shirt down to cover her knees. "Watcha readin'?"

"The other day Candii Pop interviewed some up-and-coming boyband from Seoul, and I wanted to read through it to see if there was any good tips or info we could use," She closed the magazine and chucked it in Byeol's lap. "You can read it if you want."

"Candii? That journalist no one likes? I thought she got fired a while ago," Byeol said as she opened the magazine.

"Yeah, she did. Guess she got hired at a different news site?" Lisa stood up and stretched. "I'm gonna go shower. If Kaen's not up in thirty minutes, would you wake her for me?

As she walked over to the bathroom, Byeol began to read through the interview.

"Obsydium..." Byeol muttered as she read the article. "Hmm. Cool name..."

She got a bit lost in the article, humming to herself. Eventually she sighed and got to her feet, heading to the bathroom to get ready for work.

About that time Lilliana and Kaen had woken up and were in the kitchen having a breakfast of cereal and Vita500. Lisa had gotten out of the shower and was sitting at the kitchen table with Kaguya. They looked through the newspaper as they talked quietly.

Byeol felt a small, strange pang in her heart as she left the room. The sound of Kaen's high-pitched laughter echoed through the apartment before Kaguya shushed her, the sounds following Byeol as she stepped in the bathroom.

Byeol had been an only child.

Her only family growing up was her mom, and she'd always felt lonely when she was growing up. Sometimes when she was a kid, she'd wondered what it would be like to have sisters. Someone who could help her braid her hair, when it was still long. Someone to talk to while her mom was at work. Someone to share snacks with and watch movies with.

She always imagined it would be a lot like this; sure, she was probably wrong and having siblings was awful, but it was always nice to imagine, right?

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

Byeol showed up to work about thirty minutes later and was immediately greeted by Yoongi shoulder-checking her as she entered the building.

"Aya! Yunkkiya josimhaeyo!"

"Ouch! Watch out, Yoongi!"

"Joyong! Geunyang ilharo gaseyo."

"Quiet! Just go to work."