Breaking Point

I get to the street where I'd been left by Marinette and Adrien, detransforming out of sight of anybody before walking out into the open. I'd used up most of my time, and my necklace was close to completely dissolving.

Most people's windows and curtains are shut, doors firmly closed, and everything looks normal. There's nobody out on the streets of course, but already there's starting to be some movement as people come out and realise the akuma is gone.

My necklace disappears in a flash of grey light before reappearing on my neck fully formed, and Beau does a circle around my head before settling on my nose. His big eyes stare right into mine, and I huff.

"Beau, can you get off my face please?"

"Are you okay?" His tiny body doesn't budge. "You look-"

"I'm fine." I try to push him off my nose with one hand, but he stays stubbornly on.

His grey eyes don't blink. "You don't seem fine."

He's right, as much as I don't want to admit it. My body is aching from the fight with Chat Noir, and my ears ring painfully from Zephyr's wind. My forearm throbs with pain, and unlike last time, the weird ladybugs haven't come to heal my injuries.

On top of that, I'm mentally cursing myself. I had Chat exactly where I wanted him. I could've done so much to take his ring, but I just... I messed up in so many ways. I could've just knocked him out and taken the ring, why didn't I?

"It doesn't matter."

"Of course it does. I care for you." He sighs. "Now tell me, what's wrong with you?"

"I'm fine. Leave it." I brush Beau off my face, and he hovers in mid air. His lip twists in a scowl, and he shakes his head slowly. "I said leave it!"

My voice half cracks at the end, and Beau doesn't let up. "Look, Y/N. Try to calm down, okay?" He speaks softly, slowly. "You've been putting yourself under so much stress, so much pressure, and I keep trying to tell you to stop! You're gonna work yourself into the ground. You need to rest, have some fun, and take some time to help yourself."

My face heats up, fire growing in my stomach and rising into my throat. "I don't need rest. Stop telling me that." I don't need anything for myself. I just... I just need Wolf back. Please.

"Would Wolf want this, huh?" My blood runs cold. He did not. Beau's face is twisted in anger. "Would he want you to do this to yourself trying to revive him? He's gone. He chose to do that. He chose to give his life up there, for you."

"I should've been the one that died!" I yell back at him. "I froze up! Not him! He never did anything wrong, and yet it was my fault he's gone!"

"That wasn't your choice to make. He sacrificed himself for you to live. Do you think he would be happy knowing you're ruining that chance he gave you?" Beau snaps at me, his usually calm demeanour completely gone.

"I can't live with myself knowing it was my fault." The frustration spills out of me in waves, tainting every word with rage. "So much reminds me of him. I keep wanting him back, and I have had so many chances to get at least one Miraculous, but I've never taken it."

"You're not a murderer, Y/N."

"And I hate myself for that!" I glare at Beau, fists clenching. "If I wasn't so weak, this would be over by now! And I keep telling myself that I'll do better, and I'll try harder, but in the end..."

"I. Always. Fail."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the end, I didn't wait for Marinette and Adrien to show up. They're probably still cowering in a basement somewhere, not that I blame them. Things would be so much easier if I could do that.

Unfortunately, I don't have much to do that could take my mind off things. I stride down the street quickly, the beginnings of frustrated tears pooling in my eyes.

Beau trails behind me, but after I ignore his stern words he gives up trying to talk and hops inside my schoolbag, zipping it shut behind him.

I pull out my phone, scrolling through the contacts till I find Alex. I haven't talked to the spiky-haired man in days. In fact, I don't think I've even put his number in my phone, so I have no idea how it's in here.

I call him anyways, leaning against the brick of a nearby building to watch the cars drive slowly down the road. People are just emerging after the akuma attack.

"Y/N! Where have you been the past few days?" Alex picks up on the fourth ring. "I tried contacting that Eagle guy too, but he doesn't ever pick up his phone."

A sudden wave of bile rises in my throat, and I gulp it back. "I- He had to go back to America. I had some stuff to sort out, but I can probably return to schedule now."

He sighs. "Are you okay? You sound tired."

"I am. Difficult to sleep sometimes." I'm tired of everything...

"We'll go back to normal schedules tomorrow, I'll come see you in your hotel room in the morning. Get some rest, do some singing practice if you want." Alex sounds concerned. "And uhm, if you need anything just call me."

I nod even though he can't see me. "Will do. Thank you."

The line goes dead a moment after, and I stare at the phone in my hand. The screen turns black, and I'm left watching my own reflection.