Chapter 14 : Chuseok

Although the modern day Royal family is far less strict about following ancient customs associated with superstitious beliefs,
The traditions of Chuseok is still followed diligently every year.

" Hyung, You realise that you are totally whipped right now?" Gyuvin said to his Older brother as they were waiting outside the villa.

The older one didn't bother to answer him as he couldn't keep his eyes off his wife, walking towards him, wearing a peony patterned Hanbok.

Hana looked down flustered, still not used to having this man staring at her at every given moment.

" Ahem- So are we going...on not? "
Gyuvin peeked through his car window and Shouted out, breaking the atmosphere.

...

" Look, My daughter is here." The queen warmly smiled at her daughter-in-law as she entered the room.

The women of the Royal family aka Hana's in-law relatives were gathered up to prepare dishes for the ancestral memorial rite.

Hana was late to the gathering thanks to her breaking down all of a sudden and having to redo the makeup.

"Unnie, it's your first time touching dough right?" Hana flinched at the sudden whisper out of nowhere.

" oh- Minji. I was looking forward to meeting you"
Hana exclaimed to the female beside her with a smile, as her hands awkwardly hovered over the freshly harvested rice flour dough.

" Grandma, look at this disaster over here! " A giggling child said out loud pointing at the small balls that Hana had sectioned off from the dough.

" That's even worse than mine!" Another laughter followed.

" Jisoo! Jimin ! Don't be like that!" The mother of the twins retorted at them.

Everyone in the room chuckled at the toddler's commosion.

" kids, give your aunt some time. She will get better at it." Jiwoong's mother said as she walked over to Hana.

" Here, I'll help you."

She then proceeded to walk her through the steps of making Songpyeon or colourful half-moon rice cakes.

" Now you can stuff them with a sweet filling of choice, like this. " She said as she pointed at the red bean paste, chestnut paste, honey, sesame seeds at the center.

She then sealed off her perfectly shaled half-moon. These bite-sized rice cakes are then steamed on a bed of pine needles, which prevent the cakes from sticking together and add a subtle aroma.

Hana observed her closely. And therefore, tried to replicate them with her own hands.

And, it turned out as a disaster again.

" Tsk, tsk." The shrugging noises were from Minji who was doing the same tteok making as her. However her's looking very much different from Hana's.

" oppa, remember? mom said that Lore has it that those who make the best-looking songpyeon will be blessed with beautiful offspring. Does that mean this auntie's kids will be ugly? "
Jisoo said to her twin brother's ears, as if covering her mouth with her little palm would magically reduce the volume of her voice.

" You two!" Fuming with wrath, their mother dragged them away.

" Unnie, don't mind these little brats." Minji said. But she too was struggling to suppress laughter.