AN UNASSUMING ACCOMPLICE

"Never tried this before." Kali lifted the glass bottle of grape juice Ember purchased for them. She twisted the cap off and took a swig. "That's delicious."

"My favourite brand of bottled juice. They have different flavours, from grape to apple, but I usually introduce people to the grapes first. It's an instant hit." She thought on her words. "Most of the time."

"It's a hit with me." Kali took another sip.

The sunglasses came on when they walked out of the chilly mall and into the blazing sun. The weather had taken a turn for the worst. It had been that way the entire week, and the forecasts predicted a fall in the temperature in the following week. Till then, they had to make do with the unbearable conditions.

"Are you ready for dinner?"

"Which one?"

Ember chuckled. "Nice. The one at my house. For our grandfather."

"I think I am. It's just introductions."

The look on her face before she turned away was the exact reason Kali wanted to befriend her. There were things Samuel didn't think of touching, didn't think of discussing. Things that left her in the dark about things she wanted to know. Ember was her way into that unknown. The best way to see into their family dynamic.

"No need to turn around. What is it?"

"Nothing."

"Lying so early into our first conversation? Are you trying to make me nervous? Isn't it just a simple introduction?"

"I am keeping quiet because I don't make you nervous."

"Let me tell you that it's not working."

"Okay. It's nothing too serious. It's just that my grandfather is a bit..." Ember paused to pick out the best word. "He is a bit peculiar."

"Peculiar?"

"He doesn't do well with outliers. I think I am saying that right. He isn't warm and welcoming with people he doesn't know, and he doesn't know you. I would hate for you to meet him and have his attitude throw you off."

"So, he'd be hard on me."

"Exactly, maybe a little more questioning and interrogatory than he should be, but it's how he is." Ember looked straight at her. "My grandfather is a classist, amongst many of his other qualities. He is not a bad person, but he comes off as one, most of the time. Especially when you don't know him well."

"Samuel didn't mention any of this."

"I suspected as much Samuel is not big on discussing our grandfather."

Kali fought the grin that threatened to spread over her face. Her plan just kept coming together. She was making everything easy. All Kali had to do was play her cards right. An outing didn't mean trust or friendship, but it was a step in that direction. The more she knew, the closer she got to her goals.

"Samuel doesn't like to tell me things." Kali mused as they settled on a bench facing the road. "I think he believes he is protecting me in some way. I don't know how to assure him I can handle things."

"He is like that sometimes. I am sure he blames himself partly for thrusting you into our family dynamic without adequately preparing you."

"I am trying to convince him that I don't need protecting. I want to know things. Like..." she hesitated. "Will this, you know, stay between us? I know you are very close with Samuel, but I have no one else to talk to right now."

"Of course. What is it?"

"I don't know. It seems his relationship with Ysabel isn't the best. I know she wasn't the biggest fan of our marriage and everything, but I didn't think I would strain their relationship so much. I want to help him, you know," she interlocked her finger, "bridge the gap I caused."