▪️ A Good News and A Good News ▪️

"Mom

"Mom... Dad... I want you you to meet someone." I yell into the house as I drag Chase behind me. The way his heels are creating a little resistance, I can tell he's nervous. I don't blame the guy. His first encounter with my parents as a teenager wasn't all rainbows and unicorns. 
    We reach the the living room and find both my parents on their devices. Mom is sitting on the lounge with her laptop and dad is standing by the fire place with his phone to his ear. Their eyes find Chase and I and I smile a big grin at them. 

"Anastasia..." Mom's starts with narrow eyes and a clipped tone. I let go off Chase's hand and he tucks them into the pockets of his jeans. Dad has wrapped up his call and is now glaring daggers at my boyfriend.

"Mother, Father, I've got a good news and a good news." I say still grinning. 

    "Do you really think this is a good idea?" Chase whispers. A thin sheen of sweat covers his forehead. I nod and give him a 'just trust me look.'

"Make it quick, Anastasia. And why is he here?" Dad growls, tilting his head towards Chase. 

"Well that's the first good news. Get used to seeing him around often, because... drum roll please..." I pat my hands on my thigh in an imitation of the sound of rolling drums. "Chase and I are dating." I clap happily. "He asked me to be his girlfriend when we were in Paris and I said yes." From the corner of my eyes I catch a glimpse of Chase. His face drains of all colors when my dad's angry glare steels on him. I'll apologise for making him go through this, later.

"What?" Mom and Dad screech in unison. "I knew allowing you to go on a trip with him was a bad idea." Mom scolds, but I don't let my smile falter even at her cruel words. I expected this reaction but somewhere deep down, I imagined them to be happy for me. Guess the joke is on me. 

"Now hold up, mother. I've got another good news. Remember?" I say holding up my pointer finger at her. 

"Please don't tell me you're pregnant." Both Chase and I flinch at the same time, cringing at mom's words. 

"Ew. No mom. I was going to say that I got accepted into Harvard." And 3...2...1 Abracadabra. Every ounce of anger leaves my parents' face as they stare at me. Dad is the first one to break into a smile. Mom's hand clasps over her mouth as if in disbelief. Her wedding ring catches a beam of light from the ceiling lights and the diamond sparkles in all it's glory. 

"That was quick." Chase chuckles. 

"Wait and watch, Carter. Your answer is right around the corner." I whisper back smirking. 

"Oh my god. I knew our daughter would beat them all." Mom says turning to dad instead of embracing me in a hug and telling me how proud she is of me. "Oh wait until I tell this to Dalia. Oh god, what wouldn't I give to see the look on her face." I nod faking a smile. Dalia is mom's friend from one of those kitty parties she loves to go to. She has a son who got accepted to Berkely and she just wouldn't stop talking about how proud she was of him and my mom being... well, my mom got jealous.