{E I G T E E N}

"past & present"

(your pov)
word count: 1388

(/// = cut between a dream or a flashback:) )

ray passes the book he was holding to norman. "look at this."

you read the cover of the book, one of your eyebrows raise, looking over at ray curiously.

"mechanical engineering and human history?..." emma reads out, just as confused as you are.

ray shakes his head. "no, read the year the book was published."

norman opens the book and flips the first page.
your eyes widen, so do theirs.

"the year 2015..." you mumble, feeling yourself slowly become sleepy as the minuets go by.

"yeah, this book is the newest one in the house, so at least until 2015, the outside world could publish books." ray folds his arms, nodding at the three of you.

"so thirty years ago..." emma says to nobody in particular.

"right. it's only been thirty years. it may be a bit of a stretch but there might actually be a human society outside. however, i'm not going to gamble on something with no chance of winning." ray explains.

"so, we need to understand the outside, know the enemy, come up with a strategy and then we need to survive. if we're doing this, then we need to win." ray states.

"got it!" emma cheers.

"we should head back now. we've been gone for a while" you suggest, your eyes scanning the wall one more time.

"yeah, let's go." norman agrees.

the four of you start to walk back to the house, emma makes small talk with ray while norman walks by your side.

"flower, are you okay? you look exhausted." norman asks, placing his hand on your shoulder.

"huh? oh, yeah i'm alright. i dunno why but i'm really tired. i'm sure i'll be fine in a minute." you respond, giving him a lazy smile.

"when we get back to the house, do you want to take a nap? we can continue investigating when you wake up." he suggests, letting his hand slip from your shoulder and resting it by his side.