1 - the group of idiots that are my friends

Start from the beginning

"No, I want to walk."

She groans dramatically in response. "But it's cold and it's raining," she whines.

I laugh. "Then lucky for you, I brought my umbrella. And plus, it's just barely sprinkling drama queen." I pull out my yellow see-through umbrella with cartoon frogs on it. Super cute, right? She groans but reluctantly walks under it.

Each house we walk past looks exactly the same, like an endless loop. This whole town is like an endless loop.

Finally, the curly red letters of Donna's come into view and I smile. I push open the door and immediately the delicious smell of the diner fills my nose.

The red, black, and white theme spreads through the whole place and the checkered floor is chipped and worn. But, I still love it.

I wave at Becca, one of the waitresses here. She smiles her usual bright smile and waves back, her red hair in a ponytail and her glasses right on the tip of her nose.

I scan the diner with my eyes, looking for the group of idiots that are my friends, and immediately I see them, in the very corner booth.

Brady West sits on top of the booth's headrest wearing his varsity jacket. His messy, dirty blond hair falls in his eyes and his rosy cheeks make him look like he's been bitten by snow. He's scowling at the other two boys and has a pouty look.

Next to his legs, Wyatt Moore sits with his arms crossed shaking his head at them. The brown corduroy jacket he has on compliments his short wavy brown hair nicely and his glasses make his hooded blue eyes sparkle.

And across from them is Austin Ashbrook. All I can see is his jet-black hair and an oversized leather jacket, but I can basically sense his jackass smirk.

Brady catches my eyes and smiles, jutting his chin our way. Wyatt looks up at him confused and annoyed but Austin turns around, sees us, and smiles. Joey and I glance at each other and then make our way to the booth.

"Gooood morning, Alley Cat," Austin's deep voice reaches my ears as he smiles and lets me into the booth.

"Hello Joseph," Wyatt taunts Joey. She sighs and rolls her eyes. "Hello Whitney," she counters. They argue like an old married couple.

Brady ignores them and scoots up. "Allie, do I smell?" I come closer and sniff. "A little," I laugh. "I do not smell!" He exclaims.

"You see, that disgusting smell is due to the fact that Brady insisted on going to the gym before this," Wyatt smiles.

"Did you guys work out with him?" Joey asks.

"Hell no," Austin chuckles. "We went to the movies."

"Yeah, and they saw Black Door without me," Brady mumbles with his head down.

"Dude, you would have screamed, don't even act like you wouldn't have," Wyatt rolls his eyes as Austin shows his signature smirk. As Brady and Wyatt bicker, Becca comes up to our table.

"Hey guys, how are my favorite customers doing?" She smiles.

We all reply with "goods" and smile at her. "How bout you, how are you today, Becca?" I smile.

"Can't complain," she smiles back. "Anything I can get you guys?"

"Yeah, actually, could I get a French vanilla latte with the blueberry creamer?" I ask. She smiles as she begins walking back behind the counter. "Course, bookstore today, huh?"

I smile because she has my order memorized. "Yep," I laugh.

"Sure thing, Allie," she smiles, walking into the kitchen.

"Speaking of which," I say, turning to my friends. "Anybody wanna come with me today?"

"Nah, sorry, I've got to get home and make dinner, mom's finally got an off night." Wyatt beams.

"Yeah, I'm booked too. Dylan just texted. She's going back today. I gotta help her pack and say goodbye," Joey says. Dylan is Joey's sister. She goes to college out of state, but she comes home for the holidays.

I look up at Austin hopefully. He looks down at me and chuckles, poking my arm playfully. "Sorry, Allie. I've got to take Lizzy to practice."

I sigh. "It's fine I can just go by myself, no biggie."

Austin shakes his head and looks at everyone else. "No, she shouldn't go alone. I nominate Brady to go with her."

"No, no, no. I really have to practice for tryouts," Brady complains.

"All in favor say I," Austin completely ignores his previous comment. Everyone says "I" and Brady groans. "Fine, I'll go, whatever."

I smile wildly, grab his hand, and squeeze it tightly. "Thanks, I love you, Brady." He smiles sweetly and looks down.

After Becca came and gave me my coffee, we all stayed and talked for a while. But, eventually, we leave and part our separate ways. Brady and I make our way down to the bookstore.