1 - the group of idiots that are my friends

"Hey, up

"Hey, up." I pull the pillow out from beneath Joey's head.

My best friend, Joey Adler, is currently sleeping in my bed, and it's gonna be a task getting her up.

"Ugh, but I'm so tired," she groans, pulling the pillow over her face.

"Yeah, I know, I know. But remember we're meeting the boys down at Donna's, so we got to go."

She groans again but eventually sits up. The dim light shining through my window hits against Joey's dark skin, making her absolutely radiant. I wish my skin looked like hers. I wish my everything looked like hers.

I walk into my bathroom and start changing into skinny blue jeans, a brown lacy corset tank top, and a brown flannel to wear over it. It's drizzling outside, and this fit is perfect for a drizzly day. While I'm brushing my teeth, Joey finally walks into the bathroom.

"Please don't wear your contacts today," she pleads, her doe eyes big and her big lips pouted. I spit agitatedly. "I'm going to."

"No, Allie, please just one more day. Look, today is the last day of Christmas break. Just give me one more day then you can wear them all you want at school." I search her pleading eyes for a minute before giving in.

I always give in to her, she has a way of making people do that. "Ugh, fine," I groan. She enthusiastically claps her hands and does a little dance.

So, basically, I've got heterochromia. My left eye blue and my right one brown. And I know what you're gonna say, oh Allie heterochromia is so pretty why would you cover it up? I cover it up because I don't need any more reason to stick out than I already have. So, most days I wear contacts to make both my eyes look brown. But not today I guess.

I think I'm gonna braid my hair today. I don't feel like fixing it, it looks like a huge ball of fuzz right on top of my head. It's naturally curly, so that doesn't help.

After a little while, we're both ready. We're meeting the rest of our group at our favorite diner, Donna's. We all agreed to meet at 10:30, and currently, it's 10:20, so we have 10 minutes to get there. But, if I'm being honest, they'll probably be late too.

"Alright, 10 minutes, let's go, we can do this," Joey jumps energetically, grabbing her bag.

"Yep, let's go," I smile, grabbing mine too.

We start making our way down the stairs, the rest of the house eerily quiet. "Is your dad home?" She whispers. "What do you think," I reply as we skip down the stairs.

As we walk out the door, the bitter air immediately hits my face. "Fuck, it's cold," I exclaim.

"Yep, we should probably just stay here," she says hopefully.

"Nope, I'm hungry, we're going."

She groans as we walk down the steps and onto the sidewalk. "Can we at least take your car?" She asks hopefully.