Part 26

"Actually... what if we tell MARI at the end of the day today, and then... tell them... by the end of this week?" I say, going back on my original, too simple plan.

"Whatever you want, pretty boy." BASIL replies, and runs his hand- calloused from gardening, still somehow smooth from fancy lotions and the fact that he is, BASIL, and every part of him is perfect -through my hair. "Now, lets go get breakfast. A pretty boy like you needs to eat, okay?"

I nod, letting him take my hand and take me to the cafe in the hospital. 

"I can't have coffee right now because of the meds I'm currently on, not that I drink it normally..." he says. "You want any, or can you not have it too?"

I shake my head that, no, I don't want coffee. I can't remember what the doctors said, if I can or  can't have it, but don't particularly want it anyway. 

"What do you want?" He asks me, his voice gentle, he knows I'm not normally as silent as this, something must be wrong.

Something is wrong.

My insides are twisted with anxiety, my bones filled with worry, I am drowning in the fear.

"It's gonna be okay, pretty boy." He tells me, and smooths out my hair with his hand, and kisses me on the cheek.

I nod, avoiding eye contact.

"I'm not gonna make you talk, alright? But I'm gonna make you eat."

I nod again.

"I know its not the healthiest... but does a pastry sound good?"

I look up into his eyes this time, and nod.

"So... they have muffins, scones, croissants, cinnamon rolls, and bagels. I'm gonna get... hmmm... a bagel."

"I wanna cinnamon roll." I say. 

He smiles at me, happy I talked. "I'm also gonna get a chai... do you want a drink?"

I shake my head.

We find a table to sit down at, and then he orders, and comes back.

"I got a large chai cause I know you're gonna steal some from me." he says, his tone slightly teasing.

"Thank you." I say.

"A BAGEL FOR BASIL!" The barista shouts, and BASIL goes up to retrieve our order.

As I eat my cinnamon roll and steal sips of BASIL's chai, the hot tea and full stomach comfort my nerves. In addition to calming me, it also made me feel slightly. All I wanted to do right now was take a warm shower and go to sleep.

"BASIL..." I say, getting his attention, even though it was already on me.

"Yes?"

"I'm tired..."

"Hehe... it's only 10:00 and you're already tired. It's okay, I'll walk you up to your room, okay?"

"Thank you, BASIL. I love you."

"I love you too."

He walks me up to my room, and I fall asleep almost immediately.

(447 words)