Chapter 43

I turn around to see, Adrian, with his arms crossed, eyebrows raised. Now probably wasn't the best time to be smart with him. And I knew he was not like Derek or Wes, maybe I could sweet talk him into joining me and Dwayne in the investigation. It was worth a try.

"We wanted to know if you would join us in investigating what happened in the cells," I say, I can see Dwayne stiffen with disbelief. Honestly, he didn't like me getting myself into trouble either, but he wasn't going to stop me.

"And what about my cousin? What would he say?" Adrian asks. I can feel Dwayne telling me not to lie to him. And I couldn't lie to him.

"Well, he would say it was your call now, but before he was not big on me doing anything," I said. Adrian nods and sighs, relaxing his arms beside him.

"Fine, but next time, no sneaking around, come get me, Rosa, my job is to protect you," he says. I nod and thank him.

Dwayne, Adrian, and I, along with Faith, head down to Derek's office. Where we knew Derek would not be. I was not ready to see him again. After that speech, I was a little disappointed. I thought at first that he was going to apologize and tell me how much he needed me but I guess he didn't need me right now. He was too busy trying to figure everything else out. But Damien was out for me, so my initial thought was that Derek would want to be right there, no he wasn't. Adrian was.

We open the door to Derek's office, and walk in, shutting it behind us. Dwayne looks at me and nods, grabbing Derek's laptop and logging into the servers. I had a feeling I knew who it was. But Dwayne was supposed to be checking the feed before I even snuck out. So if he hadn't gotten anything, maybe I could. Even if he did, maybe he was coming to get a second opinion. Adrian grabbed my waist, moving me just a bit, so he could stand beside me to see. Dwayne skips ahead to the time frame that Damien would have gotten out. Frame by frame.

"There," Adrian says pointing, Damian pauses the frame. it's grainy but I can see someone with a cap on. Tall, it's a man for sure. And something catches my eye. The shoes. the same boots that Sam had on!

"It's Sam, Dwayne, look at his shoes," I said pointing at his boots. He always wore square steel-toe boots. The only one around here who wore brown boots. I remembered them from the cell when I beat the hell out of him.

"You're right, that's Sam, why would he release Damien?"

"My guess is he wanted back in or wants revenge on me for beating the shit out of him," I said. Either one would give him a reason to release Damien.

"Was this the man that worked for Derek too?" Adrian asked.

"He worked for Damien, but Derek made a deal with his father, and Sam was brought in to injure Derek, but Wes and Faith were there at the wrong time and he shot Faith. Derek orchestrated it with his father, but Sam was locked up until we realized he worked alongside Derek, but maybe Sam wanted something from Damien."

"But Addison, if Sam is guilty of releasing him, that still leaves someone to kidnap Dani, why didn't Tyler call in?" Dwayne asks.

"Maybe he was drugged, or knocked out, or received a call from someone..."

"Or he was kidnapped too," Adrian says. That made sense. If Damien wanted to cover his track, why not use Tyler as a backup if all else fails? If he contacted the CIA, specifically Nelson, she would have used me as bait to catch him, he knew she would trade me for Tyler. He was family. Even being in the CIA, her family was important.

"Or he is a backup for Damien, use Tyler, contact Nelson, and set up a trade point, Damien is always ahead, but whoever is working alongside Damien, besides Sam, was at the hospital last night, and has Dani, and possibly Tyler," I said. Adrian nods, and Dwayne sighs thinking of a plan. But we can't tell Derek. That would just agitate him more than he already was.