Chapter 26

My hope and prayer was that Derek didn't understand what that meant. If he did, he dismissed it anyway. He didn't say anything, just took small bites of his breakfast. Lee looked over at me, he knew what Damien meant. Honestly, Lee probably understood better than anyone. I slept with Derek's best friend. But Derek left a note. It's possible Derek was aware, but he acted as if he didn't care. Maybe he had no idea.

There was a proud look on Damien's face. Finishing his breakfast with a smile on his face. What a manipulator. And also, he had a big mouth. He wouldn't care to let the secret slip. Derek must have known, right? It wasn't too hard to piece together. Like his dad, dirty little secret. It was right there in front of him. Maybe he figured Damien was trying to get a rise out of me, or him. And honestly, I was too scared, or at least pretending to be, to say anything.

"Hm, no matter, it's time to cut this short," Damien says, sanding up. He clears his throat looking at Derek. Lee nods to me. I swallow a lump in my throat, and Lee stands up, grabbing my arm. Derek notices standing up too, he looks heated and angry.

"Derek, let's go, we have things to do before lunch," Damien says, looking between me and Derek. He stops on Derek, and I shake my head at Derek to let him know not to say anything. He looks at Lee again, who turns his head in a slight shaking motion.

Derek looks at Damien and nods then.

Damien and Derek leave me and Lee alone. He escorts me to the lab below. It was a short distance to the elevator from the dining room. The lab wasn't huge, but it was a pretty good-sized lab. There were men in lab coats, with clipboards and test tubes. What he wanted us to do, I didn't know. But someone would tell us something I was sure of it.

Lee gets the attention of one of the main lab technicians and asks him exactly what Damien needs us down here for. We were to help the researchers document things. Like that was a big deal. The real reason I was taken was because he wanted me and Faith, to use on those shady ass business deals of his. It incriminates.

"We need to figure out what our plan is, once we get a chance to talk privately," Lee says leaning over and whispering in my ear. I was less excited about talking to Derek than I was about hatching a plan with Lee.

That made me think about his sister though. Where was she? Why hadn't he told me anything about her? He had kept her location a secret, and I was somewhat curious to know where she was. If she was part of the mafia, the hospitals would not have been the safest or most shrewd idea. They would be keeping her in another location. Probably something more, private. But Lee never said anything.

Faith stopped mid-walk, looking at me. I stopped beside her, and Lee haunted, noting our sudden change of pace. When he followed Faith's gaze, he realized what was going on. Lights were flashing in a room, with someone lying on a table. It looked like someone had been shot or worse. There was blood all over the table, and to much surprise, the men in lab coats were prepping him for what looked like surgery. Maybe it was a deal gone wrong.

"Hmm, someone was injured," Lee said looking at me. I nodded but kept focused on what was happening with the man in the room.

The monitors were blinking, but I couldn't see any sign of death. If his blood pressure was dropping that would explain the beeping, or it could have been his oxygen. Either way that monitor was so loud, that most of the lab technicians could hear it. Lee and I move to the side, along with Faith. If someone was hurt, it was best for us not to interfere. I was no nurse or doctor.  Lee had moved us over so much, that we were pretty much invisible. If anyone looked over, they might not see us just by looking over. It would take some focus.

Eventually, those monitors stabilized, meaning the man had stabilized. Thankfully no one died, but it was still a scary thought, a deal gone wrong. What if we got to this deal, and someone was shot? What if it was Derek or Faith? Would Damien protect his only son? What about us? The ones he manipulated into coming to work for him, forcing our hand? Would he let anything happen to us? It was hard to imagine he would care. But why would he let someone kill the two people who he benefits the most from?