Chapter 8 - Chances

Regina's PoV

Currently, there is four significant power that supported the emperor of Bergamot. My father is one of the four dukes that swore to protect the empire, but I doubt the Dubois family is willing to cooperate after what I told Louie to do.

If I recall, in the past, one of the four dukes had decided to betray the emperor and sell out information about the empire's military secret to the enemies. Why can't I remember which one of them? It wasn't the Dubois but who? Who are among the three that have a grudge against the imperial family?

"Verena, among the dukes family, who has the most grudge against the imperial family?"

The dame took a step forward before she pointed at the north.

"Duke Morin has always shown how much he despite the imperial family after the emperor decided to increase the tax rate in the north. It's a known fact that Duke Morin often bickers with the other dukes who continue to play a part in the emperor's reign."

Well, that seems logical. But what's the reason for betraying the empire? It must be more than just raising the tax rate, right? If only I had been diligent in collecting information before, I wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

"Your Highness, perhaps it's because of what the noble consort did to the eldest son of Duke Morin."

Oh- did something between them?

"Before the noble consort married the emperor, she was engaged to Duke Morin's eldest son. But the noble consort has far more ambitious goals and decides to break her engagement off with the duke's son. That was after she managed to get the emperor's attention. Decanted by the news, the eldest son and the only heir to the Morin dukedom decided to succumb to drugs and died from an overdose."

I see- that's enough motive to betray the empire. I mean, a parent's love for their child is endless. They are willing to do anything for their children.

"Your Highness, is there any reason for you to investigate the dukes? Aren't they the pillar that supported the emperor?"

I hummed.

"Recently, Louie has been facing several assassination attempts by unknown forces. The ones who were caught killed then selves with poison immediately so that he couldn't get any information from them. I'm worried that those attempts might harm the other members of the imperial family."

I can't let myself and Clementine be in trouble.

"Your Highness, I will never let any harm befalls you and the first princess. You can assure that."

I chuckled.

"Yes, I am aware of how talented you are. But as a mother, I should prepare for all kinds of circumstances."

Come to think of it, Verena looks handsome today. I don't know why, but she seems attractive for some unknown reason.

"Verena, did you do something to your hair?"

The dame nodded.

"I didn't expect the second empress to notice. A maid was not happy seeing my messy hair this morning, and she gave me some of her hair ointments. It smells nice, and it holds my hair in place. The maid said I should look presentable as I serve the second empress."

I see- I should reward that maid.

"You do look handsome today. Say, I heard that you suffered a lot as the commander before. Is your body doing fine? Have you seen the imperial doctor?"

Verena smiled.

"I did, your highness. Thank you for recommending them."

Hmmm, I wonder how it would feel if she called me by my name.