Chapter 3 - The Empress is Curious

Third Person PoV

"What happened to Regina?"

That question has been playing inside Louie's mind since he visited his second empress. Louie had known Regina since she was a child, and never once did she ever act as she did.

"Louie, you've been spacing out. Is there anything I can do for you?"

Louie smiled at his empress.

"Have you met Regina? What is your take on her recent behavior?"

The empress sighed.

"No, I haven't seen her after the miscarriage. As you can see, I am a busy woman. With the crown prince's birthday party coming, I don't have the time to socialize with her."

Louie sighed.

"You should visit her once you are free. There's something different about Regina, and I couldn't stop thinking about it."

The empress waved her hands.

"My empress, you should consider it. I mean, you might be surprised. Regina is not the same as she was before. Even the noble consort agrees with me. You can ask the crown prince how Regina gave him some pointers when he was practicing swordsmanship."

The empress raised an eyebrow.

"Regina giving my son a sword lesson? How did that happen? Why would a woman be well versed in swordsmanship?"

Louie chuckled.

"You have no idea. When Regina was a child, she begged her father to let her have the same lesson as his brothers. Regina has way more potential than the current Duke of Dubois. But because she's a woman, she was sent to the palace. Did you think I let anyone handle the state affairs while I was away? Regina knows what she's doing. It's a pity she couldn't give birth to a son. It would mean a great feat if she did. But the miscarriage had cost her the ability to bear me a son."

The empress hummed.

"It does sound alarming."

The empress couldn't ignore the fact that she was the cause of Regina's misfortune. She turned to the emperor, who was reaching out for tea.

"Louie, did you ever love the second empress?"

The emperor hummed.

"I did- well, I used to. Why? Are you jealous that I'm suddenly eager to talk about Regina?"

The empress shakes her head no.

"Not really. Regina will keep everything in order, but I am concerned about your favorite noble consort. I need a word with you about that woman."

Louie sighed.

"What has she done this time?"

The empress told Louie about the shenanigans that the noble consort had done to a foreign representative not long before. Louie only laughed as the empress expressed how to troubled she felt.

"Is that your response?! You're laughing at me for being worried about the empire's reputation?! Louie! Even Regina will not be happy if she knows this!"

Louie waved his hand.

"Let the noble consort do what she likes. I don't have any problem with her doing things in my stead."

The empress sighed.

"Why? Because she's the daughter of Duke Orion, the ruler of the East? Louie, I understand that you wish to strengthen your influence through marriage, but there's a limit to one idiocy."