Chapter 2 - Equality

A FEW MONTHS LATER,

Regina's PoV

It's been a few months since Clementine moved into my palace, and from that moment on, I've been spending my time watching and playing with my daughter. I'm glad that Clementine is slowly opening up to me even though I've been nothing but an abuser to her for the past five years.

"Mama!"

I placed my cup of tea before bending down so Clementine could place the flower wreath on my head.

"Pretty."

Clementine kissed me on the cheek before she ran towards the maids. I smiled as I caressed my cheek, which my daughter kissed.

"It seems you're having fun without me. Normally you would come to the main palace and ask for an audience with me. I've been waiting, and you haven't come even once."

Why is the emperor here? I thought he was supposed to be with one of his many consorts today.

"Louie? What are you doing here? You're supposed to be with one of the many consorts you have today. I don't think today is my turn."

The emperor sits on an empty chair before the maids pour him a cup of tea.

"I just want to confirm something. Are you aware that rumors are circulating in the main palace about a certain empress consort who suddenly became kind overnight? From what I heard, that person even paid for a servant's medical needs. So tell me, Regina, what happened to you? Did going through a near-death experience open your heart to kindness? Or is this part of your plan to kill the empress."

I watched as the emperor continued to be an idiot.

"I wonder. Do I gain anything from killing the empress? If I were you, I would be worried about the noble consort instead. I'm sure you're aware of how my father hated me. I am currently powerless against the empress and the noble consort. The only reason why you chose me to be the empress is that I agreed to do half of your work regarding state affairs."

Louie hummed.

"I will do as you say. Duke Dubois indeed hated his daughter, and I hate you too. So why am I here? I wonder."

Louie's attention then turned to Clementine.

"How is the first princess? I heard from her teachers that she has been improving greatly. If only she's a prince instead."

I can't stand down any longer.

"What's the problem if she's a princess instead of a prince? What makes her different than a prince? I don't see why she couldn't receive the same education as a prince. I, too, received an education just like my brothers do. Even though my father doesn't see any worth in my efforts, that doesn't mean I gave up. So Louie, tell me, why can't my daughter have the same education as your son."

Louie chuckled.

"Because she's a girl! I don't need a daughter like her. I do admit that she improved a lot when compared with my sons, but she's a girl! She can't carry on my name."

What a shallow person.

"So? What's the difference? It's not like your sons will be the ones who carry your name! Their wives will!"

I should calm down. If I continue to raise my voice like this, it will piss this bastard off.

"You mean you want Clementine to be at the same lesson as the prince? Will she be able to keep up? What gives you the impression that your daughter will be up to par with my sons?"

Because Clementine was the one who killed you and your sons, if that's not enough proof, I don't know what is.

"Because she's my daughter. And you know full well how talented I am with the sword. Isn't that why you choose to marry me? Because you fell for me when I challenged you to a duel?"