Chapter 5 - The Former Commander

Verena's PoV

I had expected that the emperor would strip my title as the commander of the imperial knights. After all, he's the type of ruler that awaits the downfall of the opposite sex. I was sure he would exile me, but why would the emperor send me to one of his concubine's palaces?

And he chooses to send me to the second empress palace nonetheless.

When I first arrived, I witnessed how the second empress rounded up the knights and commanded them to capture every single servant in the palace. At first, I thought just another display of an emperor's concubine showing off their powers against low-borns, but I was wrong. The second empress has a legit reason for doing so.

I heard many rumors regarding the second empress, one of which was that she liked to abuse her daughter, Princess Clementine. But from what I can see, the second empress doesn't seem like what the rumors said her to be.

I watched as the nanny begged for her life, but the second empress didn't faze by it at all. Nothing could surprise me more, but the empress suddenly came to the second empress's palace with her entourage of maids and butlers.

I never knew the very empress could converse a decent conversation with the harem members. The empress I know doesn't want her authority to be challenged.

"Verena Faye, this is your first command from your new master. Kill them all."

I received my first command from the second empress. Anyone would falter from such orders, but I am different. Since I was a child, the only thing I could remember was the smell of blood. It all started when a group of bandits killed my parents.

I was spared because the bandits thought selling a child would bring them good money. The bandits were wrong. Since the bandits couldn't get any money from me, they decided to train me, and I became a mercenary at such a young age. When I was twelve, I killed my first victim.

Since then, all I ever did was kill people to feed myself. Things took a turn when the former commander of the imperial knights caught me. Something seems to be getting better from that moment on.

"No! Stay away from me! You monster! Stay away from me!"

Is it because of the scar across my face? Is that why I'm a monster?

"Pray for you, God."

I unsheathed my sword before beheading the nanny and the rest of the servants, just like what my master wished.

"As expected from the former commander of the imperial knights. You don't seem to falter even if you must rob someone's life from them."

The second empress was watching me. I have to kneel.

"This servant is willing to do just anything for her master. Please, I-"

I accidentally look up to Her Highness without permission. One thing that was lacking from the rumors was her beauty. Now that I've seen her up close, she does possess the beauty of an angel. The emperor is one lucky man.

"What's wrong? Is there something on my face?"

I shake my head no before looking down. What a fool I am.

"Verena Faye, you've shown your worth as a knight. It doesn't matter what you did in the war. What matter now? Besides, you only did what was needed for the empire. Even if you must kill the cardinal before God's statue, it doesn't mean anything to me."

Her Highness is benevolent.

"I have sinned. Thank you for this chance to redeem myself, your highness."