3| Delilah

As I adjust the cables next to the bed, I hear Sofia coughing slightly. I stand up immediately and help her sit up. She reaches for the glass of water but I take it for her and help her drink it. She rolls her eyes at first but accepts the gesture and gulps the water down.

I smile at her after setting the now empty glass down on the side table and plop down in my seat as I wait for her to speak.

"How bad was it?" She asks knowingly.

"Well," I grin and hold up my hand to count on my fingers in front of her. "One black eye, one nose bleed, one upset stomach, one migraine to me and a drunk guy laying in an alley outside of the nearest club,"

Sofia puts her head in her hands to hide her embarrassed blush. I laugh and hold my stomach.

"Wait... a drunk guy?" She questions, looking up smirking and I sit back, rolling my eyes.

"Almost, but I pushed him off me after iIgot the call that you were going into labour, love," I state nonchalantly.

"Seriously, Delilah, I swear you're the only girl in England who can be so dedicated to her job that she'd give up a night of hot, drunken sex to listen to me screaming the heads off her junior nurses and watch me have a wrestling match with all of them," we both burst out laughing at her light joke.

After I recompose myself, I stand up and get back to sorting out the cables and tubes beside the bed. "It just seems that I can't stand men. They're really irritating and get on my nerves,"

When I don't hear a response, I stand back up and see what caused the silence, or rather who.

Sofia turns to me, a bit shocked, and I give her a look that says tell me to stay and I will.

"It's okay, Delilah. You can leave for now," she gives me a sad smile and I nod my head slightly, giving her a sorrowful smile.

I walk out of the room and close the door. With nothing to do, I walk over to the reception desk in the middle of the hallway and ask Ethel for the files of my other patients. I page through them, mindlessly, to pass the time.

"Ethel, did you-" I get cut off by a booming voice and I run back to Sofia's room.

I slam the door open to see Liam standing at the foot of Sofia's bed. He looks angry and Sofia just sits there, fiddling with her fingers.

"Mr Becker, I am going to have to ask you to leave. You're disturbing the well-being of the patients," I say calmly as I hold the door open for him.

"Fuck off, Delilah. This doesn't even involve you-"

"Leave." A thunderous voice speaks behind me in such a low and threatening tone.

Liam's eyes widen and he stands up straight and walks my way. He gives me a look of disgust to which I just scoff and roll my eyes.

I look at Sofia once more and she's still fiddling with her fingers. I can see that she's about to break down so I rush to her and hold both of her hands in mine. None of us say anything. She just looks at me and then hugs me as she begins sobbing uncontrollably.

"I'm sorry, Delilah," she mumbles into my shoulder. I hug her tight and let her cry it all out. "It's my fault, I aggravated him and now he's disturbed everyone in the hospital," she continues.

"No, there's no need to apologise, Sofia. You did nothing wrong. Please, don't say such things," I squeeze her even tighter and she's still crying into my shoulder.

Suddenly, she gasps and lets go of me. She wipes her tears away and goes back to fiddling with her fingers, but this time she's staring at the doorway.

Shit! I think as I stand up and walk to the other side of the bed and busy myself with the machines.

"Why didn't you tell me you came to this hospital, Sofia?" His voice was stern. I caught the hint of an accent as he spoke.

There was a short silence and I could feel the tension thicken the air.

"Because Delilah works here and I thought it would be safer because of all the attempts on your life," My eyes widened as Sofia spoke of it as if it was normal. I froze slightly and looked at them through the corner of my eye, still pretending to be occupied.

"Were there any attempts this week?" Sofia's voice was laced with concern.

"Only three, sorella,"

"Sorella?" I whisper to myself. Is he Spanish?

He must've heard me whispering to myself, realising that I was listening to his conversation. I heard some shuffling before he spoke again.

"Sofia, why were you alone with your husband?" He asks, in a challenging tone. I tense at his words.

Dammit! He knows. I scold myself.

I hear more shuffling and then Sofia speaks. "Delilah, I want you to meet my older brother, Vante,"

I turn around to see Vante sitting up straight and glaring at me. His hands are tangled and his knuckles are turning white.

I smile awkwardly and nod my head. "Vante, this is Delilah Winston, my best friend and the head nurse for my pregnancy-"

"We've met before, Sofia," he stops her.

I fiddle with the hem of my scrubs, looking down and my shoes. I didn't forget the things he said to me, but I was trying to.

"Really?" Sofia turns to me. I can feel my tears threatening and my chest tighten. "When did you meet, Delilah?"

I'm now squeezing the hem of my scrubs and my eyes shut as I try to hold back the tears. "J-just a few minutes after you gave birth— please, excuse me. I have some paperwork to finish?"

My last sentence came out as more of a question. I ran out of the room, feeling both their eyes on me. But I didn't care. I just couldn't stand the tension, or being in the same room as that idiot.

~~