14| Delilah

"Next is Mrs Becker," Ethel confirms as we exit another stall.

I freeze when I walk, racking my brain trying to remember who 'Mrs Becker' is.

"Who?" I ask Ethel, confused.

"Oh, Sofia, Ms Winston," Ethel says clutching her clipboard.

"Oh... right," Is all I say and head towards her room. I'm not used to knowing Sofia as Mrs Becker even though she's been with for years now. It just doesn't feel right, and the state of their marriage doesn't even help.

On the way, there are a few senior doctors and some of my junior ruses who greet me but there's so much running through my mind that my greetings are only half-hearted.

When we get to Sofia's room, I tell Ethel that she can go check on the other patients.

I open the door to Sofia's room slowly and I'm greeted with the sight of her eating her breakfast and watching tv.

I smile when I speak. "Well, aren't you in a good mood,"

She turns her head towards me in the doorway and her eyes widen. She finishes chewing and reaches for the remote to switch the tv off.

"How did it go yesterday?" She asks excitedly.

I furrow my brows. "Go with what?"

I try to remember what happened and then it hits me.

"Oh," I move a chair next to Sofia's bed and plonk down into. "That,"

I feel myself grimace and Sofia gives a worried look.

"What happened? Did he do anything bad?" She voices her concern.

I sigh and tangle my hands together. "It was... okay. Nothing interesting happened, we just ate lunch," I shrug.

Sofia rests her elbow on her mini table and leans her head onto her palm. "Come on, spill, Delilah,"

"There's nothing to spill, Sofia. We just ate lunch, he dropped me off and we said our goodbyes," I explain while staring down at my shoes.

"Delilah, just tell me. You've got that look on your face that you get when something bad happened. Did he upset you?"

"Not... Intentionally," I give in. "He said he wants me to give birth to his baby... he summarised the terms of the 'contract' and there were some which I didn't... agree with. But I didn't say anything and I just stayed quiet because it's not a big deal, you know?"

I already feel nervous just thinking about what he said, and I knew I'd have to talk about it with Sofia so that's why i tried my best to get it out of my mind for a bit.

"Delilah," She scolds. "Talk to me, please," She puts on a pout and I roll my eyes playfully at her.

"He said that after the whole ordeal I would leave the baby behind and back to my normal life, okay! You know how I feel about that kind of thing," I start. "And i can't just give birth to a baby and leave as if nothing happened because what kind of mother would I be? I'm not gonna go through heaven knows how many hours of labour just to leave my baby with this guy I don't even know. I don't even care how much money he wants to give me, I won't do it," I finally fold my arms and keep my chin high. "And that's what I told him: I won't do it."

At first it's silent but then I hear Sofia burst out laughing. "You actually said 'no' to my brother?"

I raise a brow at her. "You say it as if I committed a sin or something, Sofia,"

"Do you know who my brother is?" She asks rhetorically and giving me a knowing look. "No one has ever said no to him, at least no one alive has said no to him. He's not gonna give up until he gets a yes, Delilah," She shrugs her shoulders and leans back.

"And if you carry on saying no, he'll find a way to get you to say yes," She giggles at the thought.

"As if," I say challengingly and get up to check on all of Sofia's machines.

She sighs and closes her eyes.

I look at her food and notice she's almost finished her food.

"Hey, Delilah—" Sofia is cut off by a yawn. "Those drugs you guys give me really make me sleepy..." Sofia giggles.

I laugh a little at her silliness and continue with her check up. When I'm done, I start writing the notes on my clipboard to give to my junior nurses but I'm stopped by Sofia's hand on my arm.

"Delilah, please take care of Vante for me? He gets so lonely, please just help him, don't push him away,"

And with that, Sofia falls asleep and I'm frozen. My eyes are wide and I haven't moved an inch.

I let out a sigh and shake my head, place Sofia's hand to her side. I move the table away from the bed and make my way out of the room.

When I'm at the reception table, i hand Ethel the clipboard and sigh.

"Ethel?" I call her, unsure of what I'm about to do. "Can I say something weird?"

She looks up slowly from the computer. "Um, sure," She laughs awkwardly.

I inhale deeply before I start. I need to get this out of my system anyway and keeping it in is not going to hep my situation.

Maybe if I tell Ethel she can slap me back to reality.

"Something weird happened this morning," I begin and Ethel leans on her hands, all ears.

"This morning, when I went to get my coffee, at the place I always do..." Ethel nods for me to continue. "I bumped into an... interesting guy,"

"What was interesting about him?" Ethel asks.

I think for a moment. Unsure of how to say this.

Just tell her for god's sake!

"Ethel, I think I was being followed this morning!" I blurt out with my eyes shut.

Ethel stays silent, shocked at my sudden change in volume.

I'm shocked too. Saying it out loud sounds even worse than thinking about it in my head.

"Yeah, I'm probably just making stuff up and-"

"What?" An angry voice booms into my left ear.

Fuck-

——— T.B.B ———