Chapter 13: Predetermined Chaos. (Part 3)

Chloe stood behind the counter of the Adventurers Guild. It was her usual spot on top a wooden box. Since the morning news the city had been tense with a mixture of emotions. Some openly praised the fact the City Lord had passed away, others took it with a grain of salt. They all knew however that it was a sign of change. Something had to give, someone had to lose, and the people of Toren were already struggling.

The Guild however tried to remain the same, taking requests and sending out adventurers.

"Chloe," Lana approached her. "We have more requests for watchmen in the Market District. The Guard are losing ground with too many members abandoning their posts. The merchants are afraid of desperate looting."

"I'll post it to the wall," Chloe took the sheet of paper and made her way to the large board. Climbing the step ladder she stuck it down next to dozens of other jobs, most of which were material requests.

As soon as she did a man reached over and took the paper, "Oh I'll take this one. It's not far from home either."

"Thank you Mr Julus," Chloe smiled.

Mr Julus laughed, "Keep it up Chloe." He left to another part of the counter to sort the request.

Before Chloe could head back to help, a hand plonked onto her head. She looked up to see the Handler.

"You busy Chloe?"

The small girl looked around the guild. Most of the adventurers were running about the city trying to maintain the peace, with a few holding the fort. Chloe really wasn't needed. "I don't think so."

"Great, put on your coat," the Handler smiled. She waved to the counter, "Lana I'm taking Chloe for a walk."

"Ah sure, but please be careful," the Guild secretary couldn't hide her concern. "People are desperate right now."

"Will do," she nodded and took Chloe's hand.

"Where are we going?" Chloe asked. She had never been outside alone with anyone but Mask, excluding of course her brief stints of kidnapping. The Handler was someone however that even Mask could trust.

The Handler replied as they left the guild, "We're going to greet your Uncle. He should be back in a few minutes." As they opened the door the chill air blasted their faces, quickly followed by a steady fall of snow. Above them the barrier could be clearly seen keeping the worst of the blizzard at bay.

Chloe tightened her jacket, "What's he doing?"

"He didn't tell you?"

"No..., but he did say it would a surprise."

"Yeah he said mostly the same thing to me," the Handler sighed. "You may not have realised yet but while he's mostly serious, he has a certain cheeky streak to him."

"I'm beginning to see that more," Chloe admitted. She knew that Mask hid things for a reason but would always tell her what she needed to know. When things didn't matter however, Mask had a tendency to make fun at her expense. Point and case, he most certainly could have told Chloe she was taking the Flare Novice test the wrong way, but chose to just smile and nod.

As they approached the Eastern Gate they noticed the people gathering. The snow and chill would keep most inside but as word spread people came running from all over. It didn't take long for Chloe and the Handler to see the source of the commotion. At the lead was Ron, the Guard Captain that Chloe had seen a few times before, he held the head of an enormous creature. Behind him was the Guilder Master who dragged the remainder of its long body and finally was Mask who stood alongside them.