Chapter 9: A chance. (Part 1)

Chapter 9: A chance.

For three days Mask lingered in the shadows of the city. He watched from afar and sometimes close by as the Paladin and knights toured the city. It was an exhaustive task as even with all his skills, a mistake would mean to be spotted. Despite it all, nothing. The Paladin greeted the City Lord in the Church, their conversation nothing more than pleasantries and a promise to meet again in private. He acted exactly as the rumours would suggest. He used his own funds to help the needy and even cured the sick himself.

"You didn't see anything today did you?" Chloe asked as Mask entered their room in the Adventurer's Guild. She could see it radiate from him despite the mask.

"No, he seems genuine," Mask admitted the truth.

"I'm not lying!" Chloe gripped her fists tightly. "I saw it, I swear. I-."

Before she could continue Mask placed a hand on her head, "I believe you Chloe."

"But-."

"He might seem perfect, but your words bolster my instincts. There's something wrong with that Paladin and together we'll get to the bottom of it." He smiled.

"Then we should see him together again," though she tried to show bravery, her voice shook. "If I see him again, I'll make sure."

"You don't need to push yourself," Mask laughed. "But seeing as today is the Winter festival, if you see him, then you see him. Otherwise, let's enjoy ourselves."

"Is that really alright?" Chloe remained unsure.

"You don't want to? The weather today is pretty nice and the city is in an alright state."

"No I want to!" she quickly admitted. "It's just...."

"If something happens, I'll protect you. It's the least I can do for our contract."

"R-right," Chloe breathed out. "But you've been away all night. Aren't you tired?"

"I get my rest when I can. Once you reach the Advanced level, what makes you tired and when you need to rest changes." He patted Chloe's head and smiled, "In other words I'm in perfect health to accompany you today. It'll be nice to catch a glimpse of the city as if it weren't winter."

"Then I'm ready!" Chloe patted down her dress and grinned, excited.

Together they headed down and entered the empty guild hall. At the usual time of day there would at least some activity as the early risers came to get some work. For the past few days however less people had been making use of their services as with the Paladin's influence more support was being sent to the people. Today, with the festival, most the city had made their way to the centres of the Market District where stalls and festival games had been set up.

Outside the doors of the Guild Chloe beamed at the site around them. With the Guild's superb location they were basically in the heart of the festival and several stores owning to the Adventurer's Guild were set below the steps. She had never been to a festival before and was giddy at the sight of the people already wandering the street and plaza. The city was alive like she had never seen before. The snow had been cleared, lanterns lit to brighten the usual grey and streams of colour paraded the awnings.

"Hold on there," Mask lightly pulled Chloe back before she could run off. "Children your size get lost incredibly easily in places like this. Make sure to hold my hand."