Act one, Part Twenty-Five: That Girl was Me

WARNING: STABBING

Two days later

The girls and Julian kicked in the air, switching legs to kick high. They have been practicing basic martial arts lessons for two days, learning from the turtles with what they learned so far. Ginny, Julian, and Judi were only beginners at this, while Nina was experienced in martial arts. So, she is willing to help them keep up with their training.

They kick their other legs, instructed by the turtles while continuing their search for EDF. They told them to practice while they're gone. Judi kicked her leg up till she fell backward and landed on the mat.

Judi groaned. "This is so hard!!" She pouted. "I can barely move my legs!" She lay on the mat, upset with herself.

Nina helped Judi up, pulling her up and back on her feet. "You can do this Judi." She reassured her. "It only takes a little muscle strength." She breathed, stepping forward and kicking her right leg up. It's a perfect kick. But during that kick, the motion of it caused her long hair to swing in the air and hit Julian in the face.

"Ah!" Julian backed away, reacting to the pain.

"Oh!!" Nina gasped, guilty for her action. "Lubos Na Paumanhin!" She apologized in Filipino. She covers her mouth with her hands.

Julian rubbed his face as if he was getting the pain off him. "It's fine." He assured her. He chuckled a bit, surprised by the hard hair flip he got. "Your hair got more attack than Rapunzel's hair does."

"I guess..." Nina frowned sadly. She stares down at the mat; her eyes look empty, and her long bangs cover half her face. She stares at her hands, holding them together.

Ginny noticed it. "Nina?" She touched her shoulder, getting her attention. "Are you feeling okay?"

Nina sighed sadly. "Sorry." She looks up to face Ginny, her eyes showing sadness and grief. "Today is the anniversary of Tatay's death from his heart disease." She revealed.

Ginny gasped softly. It was also the anniversary of the start of her abuse too. "Oh my... I'm so sorry." She apologized to her.

"It's alright..every year, I would sing a song he always sang to me," Nina told them. She gripped her biceps tightly. "When I have bad dreams and feel scared. I missed him so much..." she sadly sighed.

Ginny wrapped her arms around Nina's shoulder, "I understand how you feel. I still miss my mom and dad every day." She added. She smiled softly at her." You are not alone anymore. You have us now."

"Yeah. You have a new family that will never hurt you." Judi stepped in.

Nina's eyes formed tears, sniffing. "You guys.." she smiled at them. How did she end up being from unlucky to lucky? The three hugged her close as she hugged them back. She sniffed, tears rolling down her cheek. "Thank you. It made me feel better." They pull away from her.

Ginny smiled proudly. "Good." She pulls up Nina's hair, staring at it. "No, how about we do something with this hair? You seriously need a haircut." She added, looking through her locks. "When was the last time you got it cut?" She asked her.

"Ten years?" Nina answered questionably.

"Ten!!?" Ginny shouted, shocked. Nina never got her hair cut for ten years. She huffed out, snapping her finger. "Judi, scissors! Julian, find me a comb!" The twins all nodded. They both left the dojo and searched for scissors and combs.

Nina raised her eyebrow. "You know about hair?" She asked her.

"Used to work in a beauty salon." She answered. She used to help a hairdresser clean, cut, and organize hair products. She used to watch them cut hair and took some mental notes in case she needed to cut her siblings' hair. "Can't believe your mom never let your hair get cut."