𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 34 | ♚

"I just need you and some sunsets"
-Atticus

Kyra

Syfas trailed behind me silently all the way to the elder tree. A few questioning glances when I didn't greet the fairies on the way but he didn't say a word. My heartbeat thumped a heavy beat inside my chest, sending unanswered questions to my brain.

I wasn't sure what I'd find out, what the answer to my question was, but it had to be something important. Everything changed so quickly that this little question slipped my mind. That place slipped my mind. With meeting my mate, becoming Queen, getting kidnapped. Life has been very hectic, these days might be the only days I can relish in tranquility.

The Elder Tree began to get closer and closer until I was staring straight at it. The lack of fairies around the tree gave the impression that the timing was right.  I pulled Syfas along with me, settling down a few inches away from the bark of the tree. His presence calmed my thoughts, a dark shadow of safety fell over me.

It reminded me of when Slate tagged along with wherever I was going, but now he distances himself, trying to hide into the shadows rather than creating them. I assume he feels deeply apologetic about the kidnapping but that wasn't his fault.

My necklace embedded with red jewels created little disco lights on the grassy meadow, it was the one Cassius gifted me. I took a deep breath and called out for Goddess Aine who replied almost immediately. Small magical chimes and whooshing could be heard as she spoke to me.

"I'm sure you know what I'm about to ask you, Goddess Aine, but I'm going to ask anyway." My hands clenched around a few patches of grass. "The place I saw when I was in a dream state at the magical fountain. The place I discovered hidden in the most secluded part of the Ethical forest." I speak as she listens, Syfas' intense stare on my face as I continue. "Why is it so important?" I whisper as I recall the memory I had. My younger self starting to walk towards my mother in a mysterious but nostalgic setting.

"I was wondering when you were going to ask, my sweet Kyra." Syfas' eyes immediately return to the tree where the words projected from, probably not believing his ears. "Your mother and yourself are the only people who know about it, your mate now too. Hello Syfas." His ears perked up, eyes darting towards mine as if he needed permission to speak with the female species.

"Hello." He replied. It was almost laughable how skittish a King spoke to an ancient Goddess.

"You might want to keep it a secret." She added.

"Why?" I asked although I already knew. The word spread fast upon the kingdoms surprise that I was a true Queen leading to a higher hierarchy ordering my kidnapping. If word got out about this place, people would be swarming inside of it, trying to pinpoint its importance. I never did ask what happened to the guard who held a towel of chloroform over my mouth but I don't think it was anything good. "What's so important about it?"

"I'm not able to tell you that, Queen Kyra. There are certain limitations even for a Goddess." She paused. "It's not only the place that is important, but what you will find there."

"Something tangible?"

"Yes." My mind wondered about all the possibilities it could be, how I could wonder around in that generous land looking for something out of the ordinary. "You love to read, don't you Kyra?" Was the last thing she said before her magic chimes faded away.

"I've never been more confused in my life." Bunny whispered besides me, scratching at his 4'o clock shadow.

"Me neither." We remained seated for a short while, the blowing wind being the only conversation. Bunnys eyes remained fixated on a flower patch growing near the roots of the tree, I watched as he plucked a small daisy.