Chapter 38: Superstar

Heh. He still remembers that part of the night.

     I accepted his invitation. It's not like I would've been able to refuse him, so there wasn't really any point in trying.

     We walked in silence, and stuck mostly to the shadows. Guests were leaving, and being seen would've resulted in the walk getting cut off short.

     Soon enough, we arrived at the Prize Counter. I worked up the nerve to ask, "Where are we going?"

     "My intention is to go to the roof- If that is fine with you, of course," he replied curtly.

     I nodded, "That sounds fine."

     The Prize Counter area was empty, so we had no problem getting to the VIP room. We climbed up the stairs of the fire exit until we reached the door at the top, leading to the roof of the Mega Pizzaplex.

     It was late enough at night that some of the stars were already out. I heard Freddy inhale sharply as he looked up at the sky in awe.

     "Is this your first time seeing the stars?" I asked softly, trying not to ruin the moment for him.

     He nodded, not taking his eyes off the sky. "Yes."

     "Hmmm," I hummed quietly. It was something, alright. Nothing new to me, but... maybe I just had to see it from Freddy's eyes if I wanted to appreciate it like he did.

     I laid down on the concrete roof of the Pizzaplex and looked up at the sky. I smiled as I observed them. I'd never been much of an expert on astrology, but I spotted some familiar constellations.

     Freddy joined me, but instead of laying down he chose to sit up.

     We looked at the stars for a few silent minutes before he finally said something.

     "Y/N... We need to talk."

     "What about?" I asked, sitting up slightly, using my elbows to support me.

     "... The night of the fire," he said, his voice serious.

     I raised my eyebrows, then looked down, "Oh..."

     "I have been thinking about it a lot, and... the more I think about it, the more I seem to remember."

     My cheeks started to heat up.

     Please tell me this isn't going where I think this is going.

     Not able to meet my gaze, he asked, "I hurt you... didn't I?"

     I quickly pulled my wrist out of his view and said, "What? No, of course you didn't! That never-"

     "Please don't lie to me," he said sadly, holding out his hand, palm up.

     My face fell, but I gave him my wrist. It was only bruised at that point. I had stopped wearing the (annoying) brace only yesterday, and there was no way Freddy hadn't noticed it before then. And now he was finally getting a closer look, his ears seeming to droop with every moment he observed.

     Once he was done, he set my arm down and looked at the floor. I could practically hear the heartbroken phrase he was inevitably repeating in his head; his mind was saying it so loud.

     "How could I have done this?"

     I placed a shaky hand on his arm, "Freddy, you didn't have a choice. He was making you do it, you have to remember."

     He clenched his fists, hints of pain and anger were visible on his otherwise blank face. "I do remember. I remember it now, and I..." he sighed, unclenching his now shaky fists, "It's like living it all over again."