Chapter 32: Until I Found You

A/N: Hey, just a heads up, my friends are screaming at me to take a chill pill on my writing so... *sigh* My next few chapters will probably be updated like, four or five days apart or somewhere in that ballpark. Hopefully they will be higher quality because I'm updating each chapter farther apart, so yay! I can assure y'all, I'm almost done with this story, just like five to eight more chapters left!

    I hit the button to let Monty out. "You're good to go," I said flatly.

     He looked at me with a weird look on his face. It wasn't like I hadn't been depressed for the past month. He needed to let it go.

     "No quote at all today?" he asked.

     I sighed, but reluctantly obliged. "Life is a long lesson in humility."

     That quote is too true.

     I could tell he wanted to ask me about the meaning of the quote, but I think he understood that I didn't want to talk about it. I tossed him a Starburst to prompt him to leave, and he did so, much to my relief.

     Just one more then I can go.

     As I waited for Freddy to come down, I pulled out my sketchbook, flipping through my past sketches until I found the one I wanted. The one I'd drawn of Jeremy several months before. The one stained with my tears both back then, and now.

     I didn't know what Jeremy looked like all grown up back then, so in the picture he was only about twelve years old. The sight of it still made me teary, because it reminded me of what I used to have, and that I let it go. And when I got it back... I lost it.

     Heh. I've been crying a lot.

     I shoved my earbuds into my ears and turned the volume up all the way. I was listening to Until I Found You. I honestly didn't know how or why, but at some point during the past month, it had become my favorite song.

    I felt someone place their hand on my knee, and I looked up, taking my earbuds out.

     "Oh. Hi, Freddy," I said, wiping my eyes. "You ready?"

     He looked at me sadly, then down at my drawing. He sighed, but stood up and walked into the cylinder so we could finish up for the day.

     Not far into the procedure, I heard him humming quietly.

     "Freddy, what song is that?"

     He closed his eyes and hummed louder. When I found out what song it was, I face palmed. There's Nothing Holding Me Back by Shawn Mendes.

     I honestly didn't think it was a bad song, it was just that Vanessa was concerningly obsessed with Shawn Mendes before she took her job as a security guard. As a result, we listened to Shawn Mendes as often as we watched Teen Beach Movie.

     It was on my favorites playlist, though. I couldn't remember when I'd added it, but I imagined it was probably when Sing 2 came out or something.

     "You're a very interesting person, Freddy," I said. "I would've thought this song would be too... explicit for you."

     "I don't know what you're talking about. I'm humming Kidz Bop."

     I groaned and dragged my hand down the side of my face. "Freddy, you've been brainwashed."

     "And the others haven't."

     I shrugged, "Whatever."

     I finished up and let him out, "Goodbye, Freddy."