Chapter 1: First Day On The Job

I'd been to the Pizzaplex a few times before, but my mind was still blown by how phenomenally huge the place was. It could even be a bit disorienting sometimes, with the bright lights and loud music. It kind of reminded me of a movie theater. If you were inside for a long time, when you walk out you're like, "Woah! It's still daytime?!"

     I took a deep breath before stepping inside. I'd never had a job like this before. Sure, I'd worked at McDonald's and Walmart in the past, but those weren't real  jobs to me. My real area of expertise was never needed at either location, but at the Pizzaplex... my skills would finally be appreciated. Even if  it was just a little. I would be spending every day running diagnostics for, repairing, and maybe even improving the designs of several animatronics that would need to be in tip-top shape 24/7. The thought was exhilarating!

     "Hey, Y/N! You coming, or are you just gonna stand outside all day?" Vanessa asked, tapping my shoulder.

     I quickly shook my head a few times, then responded, "Yeah, I'm coming!"

     Taking my first step in, I straightened my back, and tried walking with more confidence. This was going to be fun!

. . .

     After we went in, Vanessa gave me a watch that looked like one of those prizes you could get out of a claw machine or cereal box. She called it a "Fazwatch" and told me that it was probably the single most important thing I would have in this job. I took her word for it, and after securing it on my wrist tightly, Vanessa gave me a fully upgraded security badge (because "you never know when you might need it").

     "Y/N, I'm going to go now. I'll be back around 10 p.m. to pick you up. Sound good?" Vanessa asked.

     "Yup!"

     "Are you sure you can keep going on your own? Do you know where the manager's office is?"

     "Yeah, I've been there, like, twice. Besides, it's on the watch if I forget, right?"

     Vanessa stilled seemed uneasy, and I tried my best to reassure her, "I'll be fine! Just go already and sleep! You've been up every night for weeks! I'm glad I'm not a security guard, the night shift sounds brutal."

     "You have no idea," Vanessa laughed, "Well, if you're sure, I'll go now. Don't die!"

     "You know I can't promise that," I replied slyly.

     "You know what I mean!" she called over her shoulder.

     And with that, I was on my own.

     "Geez, she can be such a mom sometimes," I muttered.

     "Heh, you can say that again," said a voice with a southern-sounding accent behind me.

     I jumped, and my head turned so fast I heard it crack. Behind me stood a very tall, dark blue (almost purple) animatronic rabbit. He was leaning against the wall casually as he looked at me. "Didn't mean to scare ya! You okay?"

     I smiled, "Yeah. I didn't see you there. Bonnie, right?"

     "Ding ding ding! Correct!"

     My grin widened at his fun attitude, and I realized I hadn't introduced myself, "Oh, I'm Y/N by the way!" I said, pointing at my name tag. "I'm new here."

     "Well, it's nice to meetcha! So you're the new robot doctor, huh?"

     I chuckled. "Yup!"

     We stood there in silence for a moment before he asked, "So when do you start?"

     "Right now, actually. I just, uh... don't know where to start."

     "Did you check your watch? Your tasks for the day should be in there."

     Looking at my watch, I did see a little tab that said "tasks." Tapping it, I saw my daily duties neatly listed out. I let out a satisfied sigh, things were always better when they were organized. It kind of killed me inside when there was a mess and I couldn't do anything about it.

     First on my list was to give the animatronics a check up before their first performance of the day. I had to go to Parts and Service (only once every morning and once every evening) so I could make sure they were ready for a long day of performing, birthday parties, and whatever it was animatronics did during the day. Then in the evenings I would have to clean them.

     "Welp, I'm supposed to give you guys a check up before your first performance of the day. Do you wanna go first?"

     "Sure!"

     "Then lead the way, bro!"

     After several twists and turns, we arrived at Parts and Service. For once I was grateful that my dad had always been nagging me to have a good sense of direction as a kid, so I wouldn't get lost on my way to Parts and Service tomorrow.

     In the center of the room was a large protective cylinder with something that looked like one of those bed thingies at the dentist inside, and I saw a console by it, which I assumed I was going to use to control tools inside and check how they were doing internally. Lining the sides of the room were tinier rooms that were either empty or had scraps and spare parts in them. What stood out to me most was the huge pig-sty spread across the room. I cringed just looking at it!

     No way am I not doing something about this. This room is a freaking disgrace!

     Bonnie chuckled at my distraught look. "Heh, sorry 'bout the mess, Y/N. The last guy didn't really care for, uh... cleaning."

     I shrugged it off, opting to deal with the mess later, then stepped up to the console by the protective cylinder, gesturing for him to get into it.

     "Geez, don't gotta be so mean, doc," Bonnie joked.

     I rolled my eyes. "Oh my gosh, just get into the diddly darn cylinder!"

     Bonnie smirked and sashayed into the cylinder, plopping himself down. "Hey, have you met any of the others yet?" he asked as the door closed behind him.

     "I've seen them, but I haven't met any of them yet," I smiled, "You got any advice before I meet them?"

     "Oh, well they're all real nice. But the only ones you might have some trouble with are Monty, who you probably already know, and Moon, the Daycare attendant. You see, Monty's got a bit of a temper. Nothing I'm guessing you can't handle. And Moon... I'm not gonna lie to you, Y/N, but he doesn't actually talk to any of us. I can't tell if it's because he hates us or if he's just shy."

     "Huh. Well, maybe I can get to know both of them better as time goes on."

     "Good luck."

     I playfully shot him a glare, "What's that supposed to mean?"

     "Oh, nothing," he chuckled.

     "Way to keep me in suspense, man."

     It wasn't hard to figure out how things worked, so the check up went smoothly. After letting Bonnie out of the protective cylinder I asked him to send someone down for their turn.

     "On it!"

     "See you around, Bonnie!"

     He gave me a quick thumbs up and left Parts and Service. I wondered who he would send in...