Chapter 27: Jeremy

A/N: Guess what, you're 27 now, I lied to you earlier! (Deal with it)

     I was sitting in front of my keyboard, practicing piano for the first time in literally months. I started with some scales and arpeggios, then took out some of the music I had been practicing before I took my... extended break.

     Vanessa told me Jeremy would arrive in an hour about fifteen minutes earlier, and said if I wanted to practice my piano now was the time to do it.

     Let's see... What do I want to play first...?

     I was about to make my decision when I heard a knock on the door.

     Seriously?!

     I sighed and stood up, making my way towards the door. I mumbled, "Did he really have to be early?"

     They knocked again and I said, "I'm coming!"

     I paused in front of the door. The same silly question being asked over and over in my head.

     What if it's him? What if it's him?! WHAT IF IT'S HIM?!

     The suspense was killing me, yet I couldn't bring myself to open the door. 'Jeremy' knocked louder, catching Vanessa's attention. She walked up to the door and opened it like it was nothing. It wasn't like my life depended on who was on the other side of the door or anything.

     "Wait-!!!"

     "Jeremy! You're early, what's up?" Vanessa said casually, motioning for him to come inside.

     "I'm doing good," I heard a new, yet hauntingly familiar voice say, "You know me..." he trailed off, he was about to come in, but he saw me. His jaw dropped slightly, probably similar to what I was doing. Any excitement that had been visible on his face was gone, replaced by surprise and regret.

     "I like to be early," he breathed.

     "I-I..." was all I could say.

     "Y-Y/N?" Jeremy asked.

     I couldn't hold it in anymore. "Jeremy!"  I exploded, wrapping my arms around him, sobbing for all I was worth.

     He had the same h/c hair and e/c eyes. People had always said we looked similar when we were little. Like if we had been the same age, we could've been twins!

     He's so... big!

    He was finally taller than me, and definitely more muscular. He had been such a little kid. Smallest kid in his class, in fact, and certainly the least athletic. But there he was, standing there, holding me like I had once held him.

     "I'm so sorry, buddy!" I cried, "I-I wasn't trying to hurt you! It's just that-"

     He placed his hands on my shoulders and held me an arms-length away from him, looking me in the eye, "No, I'm sorry!" he said firmly.

     I was in the middle of rambling when I heard him apologize, and I came to a dead stop. "Wh-what-?"

     "I was... dumb and selfish and outspoken!" he continued, "If I had stopped for a second to think about what was best for you instead of what I wanted, we would've kept in touch. I would've visited you every month! I would've seen you graduate college, get your first real job, get a boyfriend- Wait, you do have a boyfriend, right?"

     I shook my head. I'd never had a boyfriend before, but I never brought it up unless someone asked.

     "Heck, I didn't even know you don't have a boyfriend!" I saw tears in his eyes, "I'm sorry, N/N."