5 • Just Friends

Start from the beginning

«I am alright, okay? I promise», I said and exhaled, grinding the cigarette to a stop between my fingertips. Throwing the remaining parts of it into a bush, I brushed down my skirt and turned my attention back to the boy.

«Then...», he paused for a moment as he ran his fingers through his hair, «are you mad at me?»

«Oh, boy», I muttered and groaned in frustration, «we have had this conversation how many times? Do not depend on me to keep you happy. I have my days and you have yours. Shit happens».

Blaise sighed then, «you didn't answer my question, Leo».

«No, I'm not mad at you. I might get mad if you keep pestering me about this though», I said and began walking back inside. But I was quickly yanked back into his arms and pressed up against the wall. His action surprised me. Positively.

«Let me kiss you», he whispered, a mere inch from my face.

And I did. I let him. Out in the open. It had been my number one rule. Do not show me public affection, I don't care for it.

Still, I had accepted it, because for once he caught me by surprise. It excited me. But when his lips met mine, and he attempted entrance to my mouth, that excitement had died relatively quick. There just wasn't a spark, nor was there firework. So I pressed my hand to his chest and carefully pushed him away. «Not here», I murmured, and had I cared more than I did the look on his face would have devastated me. But it just didn't.

«Something wrong?», he asked.

I was about to answer when I locked eyes with the man currently haunting my mind. His cold black eyes stared into mine for a short moment as he walked past, hauling a second-year student behind him. Had Blaise not been so close still I would've winked at the professor, but instead the side of my lips curled as I smirked at him slightly.

«Hello?», Blaise cleared his throat and looked behind him, but didn't see anyone as the professor and the poor student had already entered the castle.

«Nothing is wrong. When did you become so anxious, Blaise?»

«I just miss you».

I looked up into his eyes and let out another sigh, «you know we're just friends».

He knew very well. But I could only assume that he, at some point, had developed feelings beyond that. Again, the look on his face said something. Perhaps exactly that.

«I know», he muttered and walked away, «let's go. It's dinner any minute».

And I followed him.

The dinner was awkward. Blaise didn't say a word, and Draco and Pansy were still butthurt after the whole cigarette-situation at the game. So, I opted to talk to Pike, Vincent and Gregory, but was quickly bored as they discussed their holiday plans for christmas.

There was, on the other hand, something else that entertained me. And that was the burning glare from the dark haired professor. Had I not known any better I would've thought he was trying to kill me with his eyes only. But something deep within me told me it was something much different, and just the thought of it made my body tingle in ways it hadn't for a long time.