Chapter 19- Helplessly in Love

-Jessica’s P.O.V-

 It took me no time at all to get ready, getting out of he apartment was a different story. I had decided to wear something simple, a little black dress. I tied my hair into a sleek ponytail and headed to the door. For some reason I wasn’t able to get inside a cab and go to the club. I still wasn’t sure about what I was going to do with Harry or what I was going to say. I wasn’t ready to face him, but I had to. I owed it to him. 

After pacing back and forth for a good hour I finally managed to leave. I needed to talk to him, he needed at least that.

The club was packed with people, and the music was louder than ever. How was I ever going to find Harry? However knowing Harry it would take him no time at all to find me, and sure enough within the first five minutes of being there he spotted me. He walked to me with a huge smile on his face, but I could see he was a bit nervous. I stood there shyly with my hands shaking. 

“Hey Jess, you look amazing.” He stared down at me with his stunning green eyes that made me melt. 

“H-Hey,” I stammered. My eyes wandered around the club so I wouldn’t have to look into his eyes. 

“Can I get you something to drink?”

“Why don’t we just talk?” I suggested. 

“Yeah lets go outside.” He put his hand on my back and escorted me outside onto the balcony. “Thank you for coming Jess.” He said when we finally got outside.

“What did you want to say?” I wanted to get straight to the point. 

“Listen I’m sorry that I ignored you when you told me not to confront Luke.” He sighed. “I shouldn’t have done it, and I’m disgusted with myself.” 

“You messed up.” I kept my eyes forward staring out into the night sky. 

“I know and I’m so sorry Jess. All this anger just got released and I couldn’t stop myself. Hearing Luke talk to you like that made me mad.”

“I told you I would be honest with you, but you forgot about that and you lost trust in me. I don't like Luke like that, and I don't need you fighting my battles.” 

“Jess I know I wish I could take it back.” I could see the hurt in his face. 

“Well you can’t.” I hated being blunt, but I couldn't stop myself.

“But Luke wasn’t any better talking about all that nonsense about me and you. Like he knows us.”

“He was right though, well in some ways.”

“Are you really taking his side?” This is why I tried to avoid drama at all cost, it sometimes brought out the worst in people.

“I’m not taking anyones side Harry. But what Luke said had some truth. The big reason why I broke up with him is because I wanted to pursue my dreams and that meant letting go so I could do something for myself. Why does that stop when I’m dating you?” I didn’t know the answer myself.

“Because what we have is special.” He grabbed my hand and pulled me close. “And you know it Jess.” 

“I don’t know anything anymore.” I had no clue what I was doing. I took a step back and put my fingers on my temples, hoping I could think of something.

“Jess don’t give up on this.”

“Things are falling apart Harry. School, my parents, everything, and I can’t let it happen anymore.”

“Common Jess we can make it work,” But he stopped when he saw me standing there helplessly. “But you don’t want to.” 

“Don’t say it like that, if I could I would.” 

“You can, your making this sound like it's impossible and it's not.” He said with the last bit of hope. 

“I can’t Harry.” I stepped away a little as he came closer. Being close to him made it hard for me to think.

“What are you trying to say?”

“I-I I can’t do this anymore. I need to get it together before I can do all of this. There are so many things I want to do, but this has to be put on the back burner.” My vision became blurry with tear.

“I love you Jess.” He said in a whisper. My heart picked up speed, and hot tears rolled down my cheeks. Those words I thought I would never hear again.

“W-What?” Had Harry just say he loved me, and out of the blue?

“I’ve never met anyone like you and I can’t let you slip away.”

“That’s not fair Harry.” I finally said. “You can’t say you love me when I told you I can’t do this.” More tears began to fall.

“Jess please don’t---”

“I’m done.” This time Harry just stood there in silence.  He looked so helpless a state I have never seen him in. “I’m sorry, but I have to go.” I could hear people counting down to midnight for inside. I turned my back and began to run out of the club.

"5, 4, 3, 2, 1 HAPPY NEW YEARS!"

People were kissing each other and laughing, but I weaved through them alone. This time Harry wouldn’t come for me. 

-Harry’s P.O.V-

I’m done. 

I stood outside alone for quite some time just staring at the spot Jessica had once stood. I couldn’t wrap my head around what just happened. The one and only girl I ever loved left me. 

People inside were screaming for the start of the New Year, but I was sulking instead. I forced my feet to shuffle inside the club and back to my table.

“HEY HAZZA!” Louis ran over to me while I sat on the couch. “Happy New Year!” He gave me a friendly hug. 

“Yeah you too.” I said flatly. 

“Where’s Jess? You guys work it out?” The sound of her name made my heart sting. 

“She’s gone.”

“Already?”

“She dumped me.” Louis awkwardly stood there having no clue what to say.

“I’m sure she’ll come around mate.” He said encouragingly. 

“Not this time.” 

-----------------------------------

I laid in bed for the most part of my days. I didn’t really want to go out and face the paparazzi and their questions about Jessica. I could only imagine what people were going to say when they found out we were over. The lads had been giving me some space since they knew I wasn’t ready to talk yet. 

I kept replaying what happened the other night. I knew Jessica had been stressed, but I didn’t know it would affect her to the point where it was over. 

I heard a knock on my door a few moments later.

“Hey there!” Louis brought in a cup of tea and shut the door.

“Hi.” I mumbled. 

“So management called and told us we have an interview tomorrow.” 

“I don’t think I’m ready to have an interview.” 

“It’s been a week Harry I think you’re doing much better, and you don’t have much of a choice.” 

“This sucks.” I felt like a helpless, sick boy, in love.

“It won’t be bad!” Louis pulled me into a sitting position. “They’re going to have to find out sooner or later.”

“I know.”

“Go in confident and show them.” I gave him a weak smile. “The single and ready to mingle Harry Styles.”