Chapter 12- Falling

-Jessica’s P.O.V-

“I’m scared.” Jessica looked at me with her big brown eyes.

“It’s going to be fine Jessica!” Harry rested his hand on my knee and peeled his eyes of the road for a moment. “Everyone loves you we’re getting positive results from the press.”

“Not the fans though.” I mumbled under my breath.

“What?” Harry said concerned.

“Nothing.” I had been addicted to reading what people said about me on Twitter, YouTube, magazines, and so far majority of fans wanted my head. I was never one to care about what people said, or that’s at least what people thought. Sure I had this tough girl act, but I really did care about what people said about me. Like with my parents, I had a point to prove. I wanted to show them that I could become a historian and be successful. But what they said hurt, and it secretly tore me up inside. Fans writing mean things about me did not help at all. 

“Jess are you reading what people write about you?” 

“Well yeah kinda.” I said sheepishly.

“Jess ignore what people say who cares! They no nothing about you they have nothing to do but be rude.”

“Easy for you to say their the ones who are protecting you. They’re all saying how they hate me, and how I’m some kind of monster!” Harry pulled his car into the parking lot of the office. He looked at me with a sad expression. “Harry I know it’s stupid that I take it to heart and all, but it gets to me. I’ve done nothing wrong and they hate me.” Harry grabbed my hands.

“You think you’re alone Jess? People write mean things about me all the time. Whether it’s about how my voice sucks, or how I’m a womanizer, or how I’m a jerk, but I move on. I know how you feel Jess, I used to really take what people said to heart. I had no idea why people hated me so much. Sure there are thousands of people that might hate you,” He sighed. “but there are people that care about you, and don’t you think those people matter more?” He had a point.

“I guess.” I gave in.

“Common lets go show management the Jess I know.” 

Walking down the halls to the office we were going to meet management made me feel small again. It was intimidating to see all the fancy office workers buzzing around with papers in hand. Harry seemed in the zone, flashing smiles at all the workers, and even popping by to say hi to them. I held Harry’s hand even tighter when we got to the room where we would meet his manager. We sat down in a boardroom and waited for him to come. My legs began to shake and my eyes roamed around the room.

“Jess remember what I told you okay?” He put his hand on my lap and rubbed my knee.  Before I could say something the door flew open. 

“Ah hello Harry,” A man walked in with a clean cut suit on, and a warm smile. Harry shook his hand and so did I.