Chapter 62: Epilogue Part 2

Começar do início

Flynn gave the Night Sentinel a perplexed look, asking, "Why do you say that?"

"I was your guide, Flynn, which means I was given a second chance by the Ancient Gods. There's a lot I don't know, and you'll, most likely, get your answers on the other side. But, I did a lot of bad things, things I won't forget or forgive myself for. Sure, I might've shaved a bit of time off from helping you and Tanjiro at the end there, but I still have a job to do, I have to serve my sentence."

"How long do you think you'll be?"

"Well, Yoriichi was here for a couple centuries. So, using that, in comparison, well..." Xernex made a sour face upon guessing the number, "...I'd say I'll probably be here for several millennia..." Flynn grew a somber expression upon hearing the steep number guesstimated by his friend. "I really have no idea what's beyond these doors. Maybe Heaven is real, but I won't know for the longest time. My job is to guide others to a treasure I cannot possess. At least, not yet. This is my punishment for what I've done which is why I want to say goodbye now. I don't know when I'll be able to see you again." The Night Sentinel reached his hand out towards Flynn. The warrior, without hesitation, got a firm grip of the Sentinel's hand. They silently pulled each other into an embrace, staring off into the distance as Xernex said his final words towards his best friend, "Thank you for forgiving me... I hope you don't forget about me..."

Flynn responded, "Likewise, it's been an honor serving with you, Xernex." They separated before saluting one another. They stared at each other for several more seconds, capturing one last glimpse of each other before turning their backs towards each other as they ventured off in opposite directions. Flynn closed his eyes as he passed through the gates, feeling the intense rays of the next dimension blasting into him like the warmth of the Sun.

Flynn opened his eyes to find himself in a colorful dimension, chock-full of life. There were various buildings and terrains as far as the eye could see. He could see so many different creatures perusing the landscape, even alien species he's never even seen before. Flynn tried to figure out what was going on, but his attention was caught by someone calling out to him, "Ah! Would you look at who it is!"

Flynn looked to see an older man who looked very similar to Tanjiro. His skin was very pale, his physique was thin and fragile. However, they shared the same distinct eyes and hair, with this man's being much longer in comparison to the boy's. He also wore a checkerboard haori, just like Tanjiro. Except, the color of the haori was orange and black instead of green and black. The man extended a welcoming hand as he introduced himself, "My name is Tanjuro Kamado, Tanjiro's father, it's a pleasure to finally meet you." Flynn hesitantly shook the man's hand as he responded:

"So, you're his father...? Heh, he definitely takes a lot after you."

"I suppose he does. Come, have a seat, there's much to discuss." Tanjuro led Flynn towards a campsite not too far away. There, Flynn was greeted to the sight of several other men who looked similar to each other with the same red hair, eyes, and head scar. Tanjuro introduced the men, "These are all of the previous sun-breathing users who preceded myself and Tanjiro." Tanjuro then pointed towards Yoriichi and explained, "This is Yoriichi, the founder of Sun Breathing as well as all other breathing techniques as we know them." All of the Sun-Breathing users shook hands with Flynn, gesturing for him to take a seat along with them as they all stared into the gentle campfire.

Tanjuro then said to Flynn, "Ever since I passed away, I've been keeping my eye on Tanjiro which is how I came to learn of your existence. It's bizarre to see the legendary Hellwalker sitting right next to me, it sounds like something straight out of a fairy tale. Regardless, I've seen all of the good things you've done for him and helped shape him into the man he was meant to be. My only regret is dying as recklessly as I did and not being there to do my job as his father so I could still raise them. Maybe then... I could've-"